I don't have anything else to say for myself, other than I fuckin love the shit out you niggas. Thank you for supporting me & reading this shit & still loving it after all this time. I'm not gonna make this a long drawn out thing. You wanted it, it's yours. Enjoy!
chapter 58
Chapter 58
“Mr. Samuels has made a full recovery. He was actually
starting to wake up when the paramedics found him. He’s going to be fine, but
we’d like to keep him over night just to keep an eye on him.”
Nicki took a sigh of relief.
“Thank goodness. His wife would just be torn apart if
anything happened to him.” she said softly. Her heart felt slightly lighter
knowing that her best friend would be okay. That was 1 less thing she had to
worry about. This also gave her hope that Drake would be okay as well. The
doctor turned to leave. Just before he could walk off, Nicki grabbed his arm.
“Excuse me, doctor. What about my fiancĂ©, Aubrey Graham? Is he okay? He should
be fine, right?” The doctor’s face fell slightly, a frown settling on his lips.
“I'm afraid Mr. Graham wasn’t so fortunate. He suffered
severe brain swelling, which we had to reduce surgically. He’s suffered some
slight damage to the cerebral cortex on the left side of the brain where he was
hit. I'm sure it wasn’t anything life threatening, but he’s slipped into a
coma. We won’t know the extent of the damage until he wakes up…which could be
at any moment.”
“But it’ll be soon, right?” Nicki asked.
“I'm sorry……..I really can’t say. His body has its own
healing process. It could take a few hours, days………..weeks. There’s just no way
to tell.” Nicki began crying softly, her body began to shake until full on sobs
escaped her throat. She felt her knees give out, but could do nothing to stop
it. The doctor caught her before she hit the floor, letting her wrap her arms
around his neck. He held her awkwardly, not sure what to do other than rub her
back softly & let her cry. “Miss, is there anyone we can call to be here
with you?” she didn’t answer. “Miss, I really think you should have someone here
to support you during this.”
“There isn’t anyone! He’s everything to me.” Nicki cried as
she wiped her face. “…he’s everything to me.”
___________________________________________________________________________________
"You're sure you
wanna waive your right to an attorney? You can ask for one at any time."
Olivia said to her. She had been urging her to take the help she had been
offering, even though her captain, Don Cragen, was advising against it.
"I told you
already, I don’t care what happens to me. All I want is for Kaliyah to be safe.
That was my only condition." She took another long drag of the cigarette
before stomping it out in the ash tray in front of her. She flicked the butt
toward the pile of empty cigarette packs on the table. This was the last of
pack number 4. "How is she by the way?"
"Oh, she's fine.
We located her grandmother in Florida. She's coming up to get her in a few
days." Olivia told her. Karla perked up at the news. She sat up straight
in her chair.
"Can I see
her?" She asked, her voice light & fragile.
"She's been
asking about you quite a bit."
Karla hunched over the
table, leaning towards Olivia.
"Can. I. See.
Her." she demanded more than questioned.
"I'm sure she
would love to see you before she leaves."
"What do I have to
do? Anything, please."
Olivia plopped a
manila envelope on the table & slid it over to Karla.
"I wanna know
why? Why did you do it?"
"I already told
you why."
"Yeah, well, I
want the truth! You don't just kill a woman in cold blood for no reason. Tell
me why you killed her & I'll let you see the girl."
Karla hung her head.
She didn't want to reveal the truth. She knew they probably wouldn't even
believe her. But she had to see her. She had to know that Kaliyah wasn't going
to someone that was as monstrous as Maliah. She had no other options, she had
to do this. For Kaliyah.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
She sat down in the stiff, plastic chair across from the bed
where the love of her life lay, fighting to stay alive. Bending over, she
traced the edge of the bandage that was affixed to his forehead. The doctor was
still as positive as he was 2 days ago about Drake's prognosis. But as Nicki
looked at him, his body laying almost perfectly still, it was hard for her to
see any positive outcome.
She bowed her head, letting it rest on the crisp white sheet
that was stretched over his chest. She could feel his heartbeat. That was the
only thing that was keeping her sane anymore.
"He's functioning completely on his own. The CT of his
brain looks good. But of course we won’t know the extent of his damage until he
wakes up, which could be any moment now." Koyoa said, stealing a peek at
his chart. She looked over at Nicki, her body slumped over him like a rag doll.
Koyoa half smiled. "You know...this is the same way he looked over
you."
This caught Nicki's attention. She sat back up, turning to
look at Koyoa.
"What?” she inquired. "When?"
Koyoa grabbed a chair & pulled it up next to Nicki
before taking a seat.
"When you 1st had Malaki. Those 1st few days were
really tough for him."
Nicki sighed long & heavy at the memory.
"God that seems like forever ago. Like another
lifetime."
"It does." Koyoa sighed as well. "It really
does. It's like you're not even the same people anymore."
"You really think so?"
"Of course." said Koyoa. "When I 1st met you
guys, I always knew you were strong. A warrior. But it seemed like you always
let him be the savior of your love story. You always conceded to him, letting
him take the lead. But now...now you're the heroine. You've grown so much &
I can really say that YOU made this possible. The damsel has finally created
her own happy ending. And that's what I love about you two. I love that he cares
& loves & fights for you. But that's what men do. They fight. But to
see you; this woman that, at one point, was so defeated & broken rise up
& become a champion, that's the kind of love story we all wish to
have."
Nicki smiled to herself a little.
"I never thought of it that way. It's kind of hard to
think that I'm actually being strong when he's the one lying here." She
let her fingers graze his forehead for what seemed like the thousandth time.
"That's the easy part. All he has to do is get better.
When he wakes up, he probably won't even realize that time has passed. But you
have to be strong enough to be here, waiting. Waiting is scary. Especially when
you don't know exactly what you're waiting for."
Koyoa's words weighed heavily on Nicki. She let her shoulder
slump & began crying into her hands.
"What if I'm not? What if I can't do this?"
Koyoa pulled Nicki's hands away from her face.
"You can do this. You are a gladiator! Realize that
strength you have inside you. Don't let grief overcome you now. This is the
homestretch. All of the things you've been through will be meaningless if you
give up now. Don't let this tiny thing break you after you've been through so
much. He was there for you though the beginning of your journey. Now you need
to be there for him though the rest. Care for him. Love him. But above all
else, fight for him. And after you get through this, which I know you will,
fight with him. You suit up & you go to battle with him every day, side by
side. And the days he can't fight, you take on that burden. Because when you
love someone, that's what you do. You should know that better than anyone after
all the battles he's fought for you."
She kissed Nicki’s temple before rising to leave. Before
walking out the door, Koyoa looked back at Nicki one last time.
"You know he can't do this without you." And then
she was gone.
Nicki looked back to Drake, his chest slowly rising &
falling. The fact that he's alive is nothing short of a miracle for her. She
didn't know what she would've done if she had lost him. She put her head close
to his, feeling the warmth his skin was emanating. Biting back a cry, she
nuzzled her nose to his ear.
"I'll fight for you." she said softly. "I'll
always fight for you."
_________________________________________________________________________________
“So tell me, Karla…”
the woman said as she pulled a chair up to the metal table. Karla jerked back
slightly, her shackles clanking against the lock in the center of the table.
She had been in the room for hours. Fatigue & hunger were setting in. More
than anything, she wanted to sleep. “Why should we believe you?”
Karla cocked her head
to the side, taking in the woman before her. Her brown, wavy hair was to her
shoulders, her dark eyes so focused on her, it was almost uncomfortable. She
couldn’t be older than 35, but the creases near her eyes let Karla know she had
seen & been through more than the average person her age.
“Do you see where I
am? Do you know what I did? I pushed a woman out of a window! A dangerous
woman, but a person no less. And it’s not like it’s just hearsay, you saw me!
You think I don't know how much shit I'm in? You think I don't know that I'm
never going home again?!” Tears rolled down her rough cheeks. Her eyes set deep
in her hollow sockets, staring coldly at Olivia.
Olivia felt bad; she knew the girl was guilty
but her gut was telling her there was more to this story. She just couldn’t
believe that Karla was a cold-blooded killer. She let her elbow rest on the
table, using it as a perch for her chin.
“Okay,” she said,
giving Karla her full attention, “so tell me what happened.”
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"I'm sorry, Nicki, but there’s just nothing I can do!
He has to come out of this on his own. Rushing him to wake up before he's ready
could cause serious damage. We all want him to be 100% right?"
Nicki slouched against the wall just outside the hospital
room, tears forming in her eyes as she nodded slowly.
"I'm sorry. I know you're doing everything you can."
Nicki sighed.
"I know this is very hard right now. And I know that
after everything that’s happened, it's hard to know who to trust. But believe
me, if I could do more, I would." The doctor placed a hand on Nicki's
shoulder delicately. "He'll pull through this. Have faith." Nicki
quickly wiped her tears.
"Thank you so much. For everything." her voice was
unable to retain volume for fear that it would crack.
"No need. Just stay strong, ok? Remember...faith."
He gave her shoulder a quick pat before walking away.
But faith was in short supply.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"So, tell us
about the bodies." Olivia said calmly to Karla. Karla hung her head before
she spoke.
"I don't know
where they are. But if I had to guess, they're somewhere near the safe house."
"The safe house?"
Olivia asked.
"Yes. It's a few
minutes outside of Philly. I've never been there, but I saw her mark it on a
map once. It's a real off the grid place. In the middle of some kind of forest."
The cruiser pulled up
near the place Karla had described.
"You sure this
is it?" asked a man with pale skin & hair that had begun to grey
around the edges.
Olivia pulled out the
map that Karla had marked for her. She shielded her eyes from the sunlight,
trying to get a better view of the interstate sign up ahead.
"Old Mill
Road." she read aloud. “I guess this is it."
The man looked to his
left, grimacing at the dense forest.
"How the hell
are we supposed to get through there? The cruiser is never gonna fit. "
"Well, I guess
we're gonna have to do this the old fashion way then." Olivia smirked.
The older man sighed
heavily before following Olivia's lead into the woods.
"But, why would
she need a safe house?" Olivia inquired. Karla sighed.
"Maliah had
started getting really paranoid. She thought everyone was out to get her. So
after I told her I wanted out of whatever she was planning, she didn't trust
anyone. Even though I told her I wouldn't say anything."
"Well, was she
right not to trust you?"
Karla took a long drag
of the cigarette that was balanced between her fingers.
"I'm talking to
you, aren't I?"
After an hour of
seemingly meaningless wandering, they stumbled upon a tiny shack made of rough,
knotty pine.
"Liv, you sure
this girl isn't sending us on some wild goose chase? How do we know she's not
making all this up? This place looks like it'll barely fit us, let alone
multiple bodies."
"I don't know,
Elliot, I don't think she's lying. My gut says she’s telling the truth."
"Yeah well,
maybe your gut just had too much for lunch." he grumbled under his breath.
Olivia shot him a
dirty look before slowly creeping over to the other side of the building. There
was a small door on the far side. It had a small, square window & standard
brass door knob. She tired the handle, but it was locked.
"Stand back, Elliot”
she said as she pulled her pistol from the holster at her side. He moved behind
her as she aimed, shooting the handle. It fell to the ground & the door
lurched open. Both officers walked in & looked around, guns drawn.
"Oh, it's like a
mansion in here." Elliot said sarcastically.
"El, just keep an
open mind here." Said olivia. The walls of the tiny shack were all covered
with dusty white sheets. Elliot pulled one back with the barrel of his gun.
Behind it was a picture of a woman with her face cut out, replaced by Maliah.
"Liv," he
whispered, "take a look at this."
Olivia came over
& pulled the sheet back further.
"What the hell
is this?" Olivia asked suspiciously.
Drake was standing in
the picture next to the woman along with Malaki. They all stood close, looking
like a happy family. Olivia pulled the entire sheet down, revealing the wall,
plastered with pictures of Maliah somehow photo shopped into the tiny family
unit.
"Talk about
creepy." Elliot said as he tried to shake off a chill that was edging up
his spine.
Olivia tore down
another sheet from the adjacent wall, revealing dozens of pictures of just
Drake. Some looked cut from magazines, others looked printed from websites and
some even looked as if they had been stolen from family photo albums.
"She was really
out of control." Olivia said.
"Yeah, well you
haven't seen the worst of it yet. Take a look at this."
Olivia turned around
to face the other side of the cabin. The largest of the walls was covered in
nothing but pictures of Nicki. Newspaper articles, magazine clippings. A lacy pair
of underwear were tacked to the wall, along with a lock of curly brown hair
tied with a bow. Samples of perfume, swatches of nail polish next to photos of
Nicki wearing the exact same shade. Even certain articles of clothing she was
wearing in very candid photos. Photos that looked like she was very unaware
were being taken; in the shower, while she slept, while she was being intimate
with Drake. Along the top of the wall read the words "Darling Nicki"
in what looked like it could be blood.
"She wasn't just
out of control," said Elliot, "she was fucking nuts."
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Two weeks, 3 days, 17 hours had passed & since the day
this all began, things had been falling into place. Nicki’s mother had come
from the city to take care of Malaki & Dricki. Safaree had tried his
hardest to salvage what he could of the place they once called home. He had
finally fixed the window in his nephew’s room & a construction crew had
been working diligently to fix any & all damage. But it was hard to say if
they would ever actually return to that house.
The final pieces had begun to fall into the puzzle. All but
1. Drake.
She had begun to wonder what she would do without him.
How would she live out the remainder of her life with such a big part of it missing?
The doctor had explained every aspect of this situation.
Every outcome. He could be fine. He could forget some details of that day, the
whole day entirely. But he could also forget important things. Like their son’s
birthday. Or the wonderful vacation they had just 6 short months ago. He could
forget they had a son. He could forget her completely. What would she do then?
If all their love & struggles were forgotten. How would they survive if she
for was forced to watch him every day, holding their son, his expression blank,
eyes staring at Malaki as if he were a stranger?
The thought of it all made her heart heavy with worry. She
had no idea what to do. He would be lost to her. The only thing she was certain
of is that she wouldn’t leave him. She was lost to him once & he remained
by her side. She couldn’t live with herself if she didn’t do the same for him.
She kicked off her shoes & pulled back the covers,
climbing in bed beside him. She curled herself into his side, wrapping him in
her embrace.
“Hi baby,” she whispered, “it’s me…Nicki. It’s been almost a
month that you’ve been in the hospital now.” Her voice began to crack slightly.
“I’m so glad you’re still here with us…& I know your body has been working
hard to make you better. But I miss you. I miss you so much. Malaki misses you.
Dricki misses you. And you mother…40…we all miss you so much.” Tears began
falling from her eyes. Her chest was tight, a lump rising in her throat. “We
just wanna know that you’re still here with us. That you’re still fighting.
We’re all rooting for you. We need you. Please just…just give me a sign. That you’re
gonna come back to us.”
She hugged him tighter, holding breath, hoping for any type of
movement. Any indication that he was listening to her. But there was nothing
but silence. Nicki closed her eyes; lids heavy with fatigue. She let herself
sink into him, her body molding to his as it always did when they were hone, in
their bed together. Nothing had given her comfort since the beginning of this
tragic ordeal. She could only imagine what it must be like for him. Maybe if
she tried to give him physical, as well as emotional comfort, he would come
back to her. Slowly, she began a melody that he had always used to soothe her
in her times of need.
“Don’t worry…about a thing. ‘Cause every little thing…is
gonna be alright…”
She repeated the lyric over & over, softly, until her
mind gave way to slumber.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
“How many people did
she kill?”
“I don’t know.”
“Give me a number.”
“I. Don’t. Know.”
Elliott sat back in
his chair, stroking his chin.
“Fine. You don’t wanna
help us? Fine.”
He stood up from the
table.
“Where are you going?”
Karla asked.
“You don’t wanna help
us?” Elliott shrugged. “We don’t wanna help you. I’m gonna go tell this woman
she can take her granddaughter home.”
Karla shot to her
feet.
“NO PLEASE, YOU CANT
DO THIS!!!!” she cried as she rounded the table.
“THEN TELL ME HOW MANY
BODIES THERE ARE!”
“I DON’T FUCKING KNOW!
I ALREADY TOLD YOU THIS!”
“C’mon! You were with
her for how long, you’re trying to tell me you don’t have an idea of how many
people she killed?”
Karla turned to face
the stone wall behind her, sighing heavily.
“There were at least 5
that I know of. She never told me what she was planning because she knew I couldn’t
handle the guilt. I wanted to tell…to say something. But I didn’t. I didn’t say
anything at all.” her voice drifted off, her thoughts remorseful & full of
regret.
“There’s gotta be
something like 20,000 pictures here.” Elliott said as he examined the walls
carefully. The rickety floor boards creaked under his weight.
“Yeah but there’s
gotta be more. I mean…all the people she killed. A psychopath like that’s gotta
have some trophies somewhere.”
Just then, Olivia
felt her boot clank against something metal on the floor. She looked down &
noticed a tiny brass ring, just big enough to fit a finger through, attached to
a bolt.
“What the hell is
that?” Elliott questioned. Olivia pulled her phone from her pocket, shining a
light on the old piece of metal. On the opposite side, she noticed a pair of
hinges.
“It looks like a
door.” She said. Slowly, she placed a finger in the loop. “Stand back, El.” She
cautioned before yanking the dusty compartment open. Before them was a set of
steps, leading underground. The two detectives looked at each other.
“Ladies first.” Elliott
said snidely. Olivia rolled her eyes before heading down the steep stairs. The
floor was hard dirt, the room cold & unfinished. The putrid smell hit them
instantly.
“Ugh, god, it smells
horrible.” Olivia huffed, holding back a gag.
She shined the light
of her phone up to the walls of the cold, eerie room & gasped, stepping
back quickly as she noticed the eyes of a bodiless woman staring back at her.
Elliott raced down behind her, worried that she might be hurt.
“Liv, you okay?” he
yelled as he waded around for her in the dark.
“Yeah, I’m fine, I’m
fine.” She huffed. “We gotta call the captain. There’s gotta be at least a
dozen heads down here.” Olivia shined her light over the many nameless faces,
looking in disgust as the sediment floated around in the soft rays. “I just
don’t understand how someone could do this. And where would we even begin to
find out where the rest of them are? I mean, it’s not like she’s alive to tell
us. They could be anywhere.”
“There’s gotta be
something down here to let us know what she did. We just gotta keep looking” the
two detectives continued to search the small space in the dim light, their
noses shielded by their shirts, trying to stifle the putrid smell. “She didn’t
say anything about something she might have left behind. A journal or
something? Safe deposit box, anything?”
“No, she just
mentioned this place. It’s a miracle we even found it.” Olivia sighed.
“Any chance you think
she’s lying?” eliott asked.
“Naaaaah I don’t
think so. I mean, we have some pretty good leverage. She’s been cooperative so
far. And I really believe she would do anything to see that little girl.”
“Well, if we don’t
find anything, maybe we’ll just have to push her harder.”
“I don’t know how
much more she can take, El. She’s already waived her lawyer, she’s telling us
everything she knows…maybe we just have to keep looking.”
“Yeah well, we better
find something quick or I’m gonna be sick.” Eliott was circling back around the
other side of the room when he stumbled over something hard & metal on the
ground. After regaining his balance, she illuminated the object with his
flashlight. “What do we have here?” He
asked as he looked down, at the rusted metal tool box. He examined it slowly,
searching for wires or anything that could signify that it might be an
explosive device. Once he was sure it wasn’t, he unhitched the old clasp,
opening it slowly.
“What’s in it?”
Olivia asked curiously as Elliott pulled out a stack of muddied, old papers. He
narrowed his eyes at them before smiling.
“The jackpot.”
_____________________________________________________________________________________
The 4th floor of the hospital was quiet. Nurses shuffled
around soundlessly, doing their rounds. Machines that tracked vital signs &
brain activity played a quiet symphony behind the nurses’ station. Lights were
dim, the glow of televisions & O2 meters cast long shadows as the patients
lay deep in slumber. At the end of the hall, in private room 410, Nicki was
sound asleep in the small hospital bed next to drake. The week had been long
& stressful & it was finally taking its toll on her. Drake had finally
become responsive to external stimuli but he wasn’t fully awake yet. It was
extremely frustrating to Nicki to be so close to having him back to her but
still not being able to have a conversation with him or have him hold her in
his arms, which is what she really needed right now.
The night nurse came in, smiling as she looked on at them. ‘A few more minutes wouldn’t hurt’ she
decided as she looked at his O2 meter. He was at 98 percent. His heart rate was
steady. She would give it another half an hour before she disturbed Nicki to
take his vitals. The nurse gave them one last glance before walking out &
closing the door behind her. When the door clicked shut, something strange
happened. Nicki stirred gently, feeling a slight twitch beneath her. Instantly,
her eyes snapped open. She thought her mind was playing tricks on her. She was
really tired, after all. Slowly, she lowered her head, hoping for any more
movement. Five minutes had passed. Then ten. She was starting the think she
imagined the whole thing. Suddenly, she felt it again. Nicki jumped to her
feet, watching him cautiously. Tears pricked at her eyes as she mentally willed
him to move once more. ‘Come on baby, one
more time’ she pleaded mentally. As if on cue, his right hand twitched once
more. Nicki pressed the call button frantically, awaiting a nurse to come to
her aid. The slender, middle aged woman came to her side, a quizzical look on
her face.
“He moved.” Nicki said breathlessly.
“Whatchu say hunny?” the nurse asked, not quite making out
what she said.
“He moved.” She
said firmly. The nurse’s eyes widened before she sprinted out the door towards
the station. Incoherently, he murmured, grunting loudly, followed by a fit of
coughing. Nicki raced to the bathroom sink with a paper cup, filling it with
cool water before bringing it to his lips for him to drink. Drake sipped
eagerly. After he was satisfied, he fell back on his pillow, clearing his
throat as his eyes fell on her for the first time in what seemed like a
lifetime.
“Thank you.” He said groggily. Nicki couldn’t help it; she
fell to his chest, clinging to him desperately. Bewildered, he patted her back
gently. “Are you okay, miss?” he stammered. Nicki jumped back, looking at him
quizzically.
“Aubrey…” she whispered.
“Yes…how do you know my name?” Nicki furrowed her brow
slowly, her lip beginning to tremble.
“Its…it’s me. Onika.”
“Aaaare you my nurse?” Nicki’s heart was trying to fight its
way out her chest furiously. This couldn’t be happening.
“NO! It’s Nicki! Your fiancĂ©! I’m…we have a son!” she was
crying now, fingers clenching the front of his hospital gown. “You really don’t
know who I am?” she stared intently into his eyes, searching for the answer his
words weren’t giving.
“No, I’m sorry, I don’t.” he said somberly. “But I sure
would like to, Miss Nika.” And in that instant she recognized the familiar
spark of devilish playfulness in his eyes as his left arm crept up her back. “Come
on… don’t fight it.” he said as she smile crept reluctantly across her face. “I
had you going there for a minute.”
“I hate you!” she said shaking her head.
“No you don’t.”
“That wasn’t funny! Why would you do that to me?!” drake
wrapped his arms around her tighter.
“You think I could forget all the shit you put me through?”
he asked as he jokingly nudged her with his shoulder. Still crying, Nicki
placed her head on his chest, smiling contently.
“I’ve missed you.”
Just then, a quick rap at the door sounded, followed by the
door opening, the doctor entering quietly.
“Mr. Graham, so nice to see you awake.” He said smiling. “How
are you feeling?” drake looked at the beautiful woman beside him, a surge of
joy taking over him.
“Never better.”
_____________________________________________________________________________________
“On the charge of Manslaughter in the first degree, the
defense and the prosecution have reached a plea agreement, is that correct?”
judge Norfolk questioned as he looked over the manila envelope in front of him.
Slowly, he rearranged the spectacles that hung at the edge of nose, clearing
his throat while reading the paperwork.
“We have, your honor.” Defense attorney Victoria Sims said
firmly. Her hands gripped around the cool leather handle of her briefcase in
front of her. She was nervous. Judge Norfolk was hard on crime. Sometimes too
harsh. As he looked over the requirements of the plea bargain, she hoped he
wouldn’t refuse it & make her draw up another one, as she had heard it had
been done many times before in his courtroom. This was her first time appearing
before him & even she thought the plea wasn’t exactly idea, but after the
tips Karla gave them had led to finding 16 different bodies, it was hard not to
refuse. Especially since detective Benson had advocated for her so
passionately.
"Am I reading this right, Miss Sims? It says here the
defendant will do 10 years in the state mental institution."
Victoria cursed under her breath before answering.
"Your honor, Miss Moy’s cooperation with the police lead to the finding & identification of over a dozen bodies; solving many cases, including the murder of the victims own sister & children."
Judge Norfolk leans back, stroking his salt & pepper beard. This was an election year. He didn't want to seem too soft on crime. But given the circumstances, he couldn't refuse this plea.
"Very we'll then." He said, reluctantly. Judge Norfolk cleared his throat once more before training his piercing eyes onto Karla.
Victoria cursed under her breath before answering.
"Your honor, Miss Moy’s cooperation with the police lead to the finding & identification of over a dozen bodies; solving many cases, including the murder of the victims own sister & children."
Judge Norfolk leans back, stroking his salt & pepper beard. This was an election year. He didn't want to seem too soft on crime. But given the circumstances, he couldn't refuse this plea.
"Very we'll then." He said, reluctantly. Judge Norfolk cleared his throat once more before training his piercing eyes onto Karla.
“Is there anything you would like to say on your behalf
before the sentence is read, young lady?”
Karla swallowed hard, combing through her hair nervously
with her fingers. Her heart was racing as she tried to remember the words she
wanted to say, hoping they would come out right.
“I…I just want to say that I’m sorry. Sorry for everything
that’s happened. I never meant for anyone to get hurt. I’ve ruined so many
lives… I just hope the people I’ve hurt can find it in their hearts to forgive
me.” She looked back at him. His face was somber. A cane balanced on his right
knee as he gave her a nod. Her line of sight shifted to the woman beside him,
bouncing the toddler in her arms. Her aura radiating a peaceful light. It was
finally over. And the relief was evident from everyone. It was hard to imagine
that just a few short months ago, her main objective in life was to cause her
pain & suffering. What was more unbelievable was the lengths it had gone to,
to bring that idea into fruition; both of them nearly losing their lives in the
process. Looking at her now, she couldn’t even remembered what she had disliked
about her, or why she had thought her & Drake weren’t meant for each other.
Seeing them, their bodies a short distance apart, but still seeming to be
interconnected by some other-worldy power, fingers interlocking effortlessly,
it was evident they were made for each other. Greif & guilt washed over
her, making the reality of her confinement to the Pennsylvania state mental
institutional almost not enough to be penance for her crimes. Nicki looked up
just before Karla turned away & gave her a gesture that would make the days
on her road to recovery worthwhile. An expression she hadn’t been able to
execute in a very long time.
She smiled.
Clatter could be heard all around them. People shuffling
about frantically, trying to prepare for the media storm that waited just a few
feet outside of the building. Just outside of judge Norfolk’s courtroom, Karla
was kneeling in her shackles, embracing the child once last time.
“You be good for your grammy, ok?” Karla said, smoothing the
child’s hair. Kaliyah nodded firmly.
“Will you come back & visit me someday?” she asked in a
soft voice that could barely be heard through the scruffy fur of the child’s
cherished teddy bear. Karla wanted to cry. She had tried not to think about the
fact that she would be losing her freedom. Her only hope was that the child
would still think about her by the time she was released from her involuntary
stay. She had to remain optimistic.
“You bet! Try not to forget about me, ok?”
“never.” The child said firmly while extending her little
finger. Karla locked her pinky with the child’s; their thumbs touching to seal
the bond.
“It’s time, Ms. Moy.”
Olivia told her. Reluctantly, she stood, taking the child in one last
time. Pressing her lips together tightly, she waved slightly before turning
& walking away. Kaliyah let her tears fall, all but her eyes covered by her
stuffed friend as she watched the only person that had cared for her in those
long months of hell leave her one more time.
Once she was gone, Drake made his way over to where Olivia
& Kaliyah were standing, Nicki flanking his left with Malaki.
“I wanted to just say thank you again. Hopefully we can
start to put this whole thing behind us.” he said somberly. Nicki rubbed his
arm soothingly.
“It was no problem at all. I’m just glad that this is all
over for the two of you & Karla will hopefully get the help she needs.”
Olivia said before shaking his hand. They were all about to make an about face
when there was a slight tug at the bottom of his jacket. He looked to his right
to see the tiny child standing there.
“Mr. Graham?” she said softly.
“Yes?” he answered quizzically. Olivia kneeled down next to
the child, smiling.
“Mr. Graham, this is Kaliyah Michel. She was the one that
made the 911 call to your house when her aunt attacked you.” The girl looked
down before clearing her throat to speak.
“I’m sorry my auntie was so sick & tried to hurt you.”
She said slowly. Nicki kneeled down in front of her, smoothing her cheek.
“You don’t have to apologize sweetheart. It wasn’t your
fault. If anything, we should thank you for being so brave & calling the
police.” Nicki stared at the girl for a moment, taking in her hollow cheeks
& sunken eyes. She looked like she had been through more than any child
ever should. It made tears well in her eyes.
Kaliyah averted her eyes. She had been conditioned for so
long to hate this woman, but she just couldn’t do it. She seemed so nice. Nothing
like what her aunt had portrayed her to be. She had been the evil one all
along. She felt so bad for Nicki & everything she had been put through. But
she was glad that she & Karla were able to stop here before it was too
late. Looking at Malaki, she admired the way he smiled at her, peering into her
eyes happily as dribbles of drool escaped his mouth that was dotted with tiny
teeth. Not many people had smiled at her in such a long time. Something inside
her tiny heart swelled for reasons she couldn’t explain. She felt a connection
to the boy; something she didn’t really understand. But it calmed her. So many
times, she had walked past people, none of them knowing what she was hiding,
the terror she was facing behind closed doors. Knowing that she helped him,
even a little, made all those times worthwhile. That her suffering wasn’t in
vain. She smiled back at him.
“I watched your baby for you. It was cold & he was crying.
I played with him until he fell asleep. Is that okay?” Drake squatted slowly,
wanting to be eye level with the child.
“You did an amazing job.” He said sweetly. Kaliyah grinned
as Malaki cooed at her. “He seems to really like you. Maybe you can come by
& play sometime. Sound good?”
Kaliyah looked weary but Drake really meant it. He couldn’t
explain why but he felt a need to protect this girl. Maybe it was because she
took care of Malaki while he & Nicki were fighting for their lives. Maybe
it was because he listened to her testimony of all of the physical, emotional,
mental & sexual abuse she was subjected to by the woman he had once thought
he loved. Maybe it was because he was feeling guilty; that if he had never
dated the woman, she would never had to have been mistreated that way. Somehow
he knew the latter wasn’t true. The woman was unstable, it was only a matter of
time before she exploded. He just happened to be the target at the time. But
that didn’t stop the feeling to defend her from any more evil of the world.
“Maybe. If my Grammy says.” She tells him, looking toward
her grandmother.
“I don’t know, baby. Florida is a long way away from here.”
The woman said, frowning.
“That won’t be a problem.” Nicki said softly. The child
looked curiously at her grandmother, eyes wide & wishful. The woman looked
down back at her, a weary smile on her lips. She didn’t want to say no, but
after the experience her granddaughter had been through, she didn’t know who to
trust. She sighed, a simple “maybe” was all she could offer. The girl pleaded
no contest, only waving her hand slowly as her grandmother told her it was time
to go. Drake & Nicki turned around, leaving in the opposite direction.
Kaliyah looked back, seeing the smile on Malaki’s face, his tiny arms reaching
for her over his mother’s shoulder. Before they disappeared, the girl pulled
away from her grandmother, racing over to where the small family stood. The tug
on at her skirt caused Nicki to turn & face her. Without a word, Kaliyah
outstretched her arms, placing her precious bear in Malaki’s grasp. He tugged
it to his chest instantly, cooing at the feel of his soft fur. Kaliyah smiled.
“He can have it.” she said sweetly. “I’m not afraid
anymore.”
p.s. due to my inability to let go & weirdness with odd numbers, I've added another chapter. It's hella short but idc & I'm gonna post it...soon. foreealzies this time.
KOKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON! IT'S OVER!!!!!!!!! I'M EMOTIONAL!!!
ReplyDeleteOk ok! So was this Detective Olivia supposed to be like Olivia Pope? Cause I don't even watch scandal but I can appreciate the BAMF that is Olivia Carolyn Pope. Her partner got on my fucking nerve like nigga, just wait and look for the evidence. He should've known better than to assume that the proof was just gonna pop out at him smdh. Karla...girl why are you hesitating to tell the fucking truth STILL?! The bitch is dead, so now would be the right time to lighten your burden. AUBZ IS FINE!!! You had me going there for a second with the amnesia thing, but nice to see that Drizzy came back with his sense of humor intact. I hope that Kaliyah can live a normal life from now on without being forever hunted by all the abuse and hell that she went through.
Omg....wow....just.....
-MnM
OMGGGGGGG!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI Have Been Waiting for This Forever! I love how it all turned out even though they went through some bumps n the road they got past it!
The way Karla told the truth makes me like her a little bit...lol!
Nicki & Drake's relationship has grown so much throughout the whole story and I LOVE it!
Please Post Soon I don't think I can wait long for the final part! Ur such an amazing writer!
Omg this was sooooooooo good!! Yaasssss for Karla telling the truth, Kaliyah getting to have a better life, Drake & Safaree being fine after everything that happened. & please hurry & post the final part!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh yaasssss bish ! Nic and drake should adopt Kaliyah .....or ...no they should keep her sometimes like u kno I'm spending the night wit my TT Nicki & Uncle Drake & my favorite cousin Malaki love love love this story continue it on
ReplyDeleteSo sorry it took me so long to comment. But oh how I've missed this story! This is fucking AMAZINGG!!!! What more can I say? My babies are doing fine & all are alive and well. I wanna cry :') I'm glad Mr. Samuels is okay too. His girl & baby needs him. Maliah crazy ass bodied that many people! :O Bitch was really crazy! I'm soooooo glad she's dead. I feel for Karla and Kaliyah. I hope her grandmother not crazy too.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm beyond proud of Nicki for fighting for Drake. That's all I wanted her to do was FIGHT for him. As much as he's fought for her.. it's sad it had to come to this for her to do so. Drake had me there for a moment tho acting like he didn't know who Nic was. BOY STAHP! Still happy that you used Olivia Pope & still mad I was lately on catching that :/
You AMAZE me with your writing. You already know that. Now hurry up with the next part so I can get my life again!
This gave me lifeeeeeee!!!!! They needa adopt that little girl omg se so precious!!!!! AND DRAKE WOKE UP YASSSSSSS he was wrong for makin nicki think he didn't remember her but that made me laugh lol! I can't wait for this short chapter even if it's short any writing from u keeps me going post soon!!!!!!
ReplyDelete