chapter 53
"Well I just think it would be an amazing trip, Nicki. Don’t you?"
"I don’t know, ma." Nicki said as she rinsed the dishes in the sink & placed them in the drying rack. "I don’t know if I just wanna up & leave home to go so far away at such short notice."
"Well don’t you want your son to see your family? And besides that, I’m old. I want to go home 1 last time & I’d like for my grandson to be there with me." Nicki cut the water off abruptly.
"Don’t talk like that mommy." she turned away from the sink & crossed her arms over her chest.
"Well I’m serious. I want him to know where he came from. He’s already been to Canada so it’s only fair." This was the 3rd time her mother had tried directly guilting her into going to Trinidad. She had been dropping hints since they came back from Toronto 2 months ago & she was running out of excuses as to why she couldn’t go. She sighed as she dried her hands in a nearby dish towel.
"I don’t know ma. I’ll talk to Aubrey about it ok?"
"Ok. Let me know what he says."
"I will. Love you mom."
"Love you too." They hung up & she sat her Blackberry in the counter.
She walked to the foyer & slipped on her chocolate knee-high suede boots before heading out front where Drake was raking leaves with Malaki & Dricki. The child sat amongst a pile of beautiful orange red & yellow colored leaves while his brother played peek-a-boo from beneath the foliage. Malaki squealed with delight as Dricki planted his paws on his legs & licked his face. They both fell back onto the grass, Malaki’s navy blue aviator hat falling off his head as they wrestled in the yard. Drake turned around to look at them & smiled.
"Hey! What are u guys doin? Having all the fun while daddy does all the work? That’s not fair!" Immediately upon hearing his father’s voice, he got up & waddled his way over to him. He stood at his feet, arms outstretched, waiting to be picked up. Drake scooped him up in his arms & kissed his forehead. "What’s up man? You want daddy to play with you?" the boy smiled. "Alright, c'mon." he walked over to the pile & flopped down, making the leaves flutter up around them. Malaki giggled as he tried to catch the leaves before they fell back to the ground. "You wanna do it again?" Malaki bounced on Drakes lap. Drake grabbed 2 handfuls of leaves & threw them high up into the air. "Wooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Look at that Ki-Ki!" he said as he held his hands out, catching the leaves.
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!" Malaki said looking up as the leaves came down.
"Yeah, oooooooooooooooooooooooh! That’s cool right?! Wanna do it again?" Malaki cooed in agreement. Again he filled his hands with leaves & threw them toward the sky. As they came down, he noticed Nicki standing in front of them, arms folded, smiling.
"I thought you guys were supposed to be cleaning up the mess, not making a bigger 1." she laughed. Drake sucked his teeth.
"You know u wanna play in some leaves, Nicki." she gave him a sideways glance.
"Uh, no. I’m a grown up." Drake cut his eyes at her.
"You tryin to play me right now?" He sat the baby down next to him. Nicki’s eyes got wide,
"Aubrey, NO." but it was too late. He was on his feet; she did a quick about face & sprinted across the yard. She made a run for it, looping around a large maple tree & coming back to where they started. Drake was quick on her heels. He caught her just before she reached Malaki, taking her to the ground. He turned his body so he hit the ground 1st but quickly recovered as the rolled into the mound of leaves. He straddled her, pinning her to the ground as he grabbed handfuls of leaves & threw them on top of her. She was laughing so hard she was almost out of breath,
"Ahahahahahahahahahaha! Aubre-eeeee-eeeee-eeeeeeeeeeeeey! Stop it! Hahahahahahahahah!" she squealed. But he was relentless. Malaki sat there stunned as he looked at his parents.
"C’mon Ki! Throw the leaves on mommy!" Drake said to him.
"No! Pooh you love mommy! Don’t do that!"
"You shut up!" Drake said as he threw some leaves in her face. She used her mouth to blow them away. "C’mon Ki, come play with daddy." Malaki scooted closer.
"Pooooooooh! Don’t do it! I love you!" she looked at him, pouting her lips.
"Awwwwwwwwww, not the pout! Cheater!" said Drake. Malaki sat there for a while, looking at her.
"Come here baby, give mommy a kiss." she puckered her lips at him. He instinctively leaned in & planted a kiss on his mother’s lips. "Thank you baby. I love y-" before she could finish, Malaki slapped a handful of leaves on her face. Drake fell over, hysterical. Malaki sat, clapping & laughing.
"Oh you think it’s funny?" she exclaimed. She grabbed the boy, laid him on his back & let a fistful of leaves fall down on him.
"Hey leave my son alone!" Drake got up & pushed her playfully. She turned & jumped on top of him, flinging leaves at him. Malaki soon joined in.
"Awwww, traitor!" Drake laughed. While he was slightly distracted, Nicki reached over, just barely grabbing the black plastic bag, tearing the top open. Drake looked in her direction as he heard the plastic ruffle. "Nicki what are you doing?"
"Getting my revenge." she said.
"Nicki don’t! This took me forever!"
"Oh well." She held the bag above her head. Drake reached up & caught her arm. She lost control of the bag & the leaves went flying everywhere.
"Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh." Malaki said, mesmerized as the leaves went flying, cascading down around them. His parents couldn’t help but laugh. And just then, as the light wind blew her long curly hair across her face & she laughed so hard, exposing her deep dimples, he got that feeling in the pit of his stomach. His nerves tensing as he tried as hard as he could to fight what felt natural. He wanted to pull her down & kiss her so bad. But he couldn’t. This is what he dealt with every day. The constant battle inside him between what was right & what he felt. Before he could let him get down over it, he playfully pushed her into the pile of leaves & picked up his son.
"C’mon Ki, let’s get some cocoa while mommy cleans up this mess. Dricki, yip yip."
"Awwww y’all really leavin me? Booooo!!!!" she said as they walked up the stairs.
"Have fun." Drake said laughing before closing the door.
"I don’t know, ma." Nicki said as she rinsed the dishes in the sink & placed them in the drying rack. "I don’t know if I just wanna up & leave home to go so far away at such short notice."
"Well don’t you want your son to see your family? And besides that, I’m old. I want to go home 1 last time & I’d like for my grandson to be there with me." Nicki cut the water off abruptly.
"Don’t talk like that mommy." she turned away from the sink & crossed her arms over her chest.
"Well I’m serious. I want him to know where he came from. He’s already been to Canada so it’s only fair." This was the 3rd time her mother had tried directly guilting her into going to Trinidad. She had been dropping hints since they came back from Toronto 2 months ago & she was running out of excuses as to why she couldn’t go. She sighed as she dried her hands in a nearby dish towel.
"I don’t know ma. I’ll talk to Aubrey about it ok?"
"Ok. Let me know what he says."
"I will. Love you mom."
"Love you too." They hung up & she sat her Blackberry in the counter.
She walked to the foyer & slipped on her chocolate knee-high suede boots before heading out front where Drake was raking leaves with Malaki & Dricki. The child sat amongst a pile of beautiful orange red & yellow colored leaves while his brother played peek-a-boo from beneath the foliage. Malaki squealed with delight as Dricki planted his paws on his legs & licked his face. They both fell back onto the grass, Malaki’s navy blue aviator hat falling off his head as they wrestled in the yard. Drake turned around to look at them & smiled.
"Hey! What are u guys doin? Having all the fun while daddy does all the work? That’s not fair!" Immediately upon hearing his father’s voice, he got up & waddled his way over to him. He stood at his feet, arms outstretched, waiting to be picked up. Drake scooped him up in his arms & kissed his forehead. "What’s up man? You want daddy to play with you?" the boy smiled. "Alright, c'mon." he walked over to the pile & flopped down, making the leaves flutter up around them. Malaki giggled as he tried to catch the leaves before they fell back to the ground. "You wanna do it again?" Malaki bounced on Drakes lap. Drake grabbed 2 handfuls of leaves & threw them high up into the air. "Wooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Look at that Ki-Ki!" he said as he held his hands out, catching the leaves.
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!" Malaki said looking up as the leaves came down.
"Yeah, oooooooooooooooooooooooh! That’s cool right?! Wanna do it again?" Malaki cooed in agreement. Again he filled his hands with leaves & threw them toward the sky. As they came down, he noticed Nicki standing in front of them, arms folded, smiling.
"I thought you guys were supposed to be cleaning up the mess, not making a bigger 1." she laughed. Drake sucked his teeth.
"You know u wanna play in some leaves, Nicki." she gave him a sideways glance.
"Uh, no. I’m a grown up." Drake cut his eyes at her.
"You tryin to play me right now?" He sat the baby down next to him. Nicki’s eyes got wide,
"Aubrey, NO." but it was too late. He was on his feet; she did a quick about face & sprinted across the yard. She made a run for it, looping around a large maple tree & coming back to where they started. Drake was quick on her heels. He caught her just before she reached Malaki, taking her to the ground. He turned his body so he hit the ground 1st but quickly recovered as the rolled into the mound of leaves. He straddled her, pinning her to the ground as he grabbed handfuls of leaves & threw them on top of her. She was laughing so hard she was almost out of breath,
"Ahahahahahahahahahaha! Aubre-eeeee-eeeee-eeeeeeeeeeeeey! Stop it! Hahahahahahahahah!" she squealed. But he was relentless. Malaki sat there stunned as he looked at his parents.
"C’mon Ki! Throw the leaves on mommy!" Drake said to him.
"No! Pooh you love mommy! Don’t do that!"
"You shut up!" Drake said as he threw some leaves in her face. She used her mouth to blow them away. "C’mon Ki, come play with daddy." Malaki scooted closer.
"Pooooooooh! Don’t do it! I love you!" she looked at him, pouting her lips.
"Awwwwwwwwww, not the pout! Cheater!" said Drake. Malaki sat there for a while, looking at her.
"Come here baby, give mommy a kiss." she puckered her lips at him. He instinctively leaned in & planted a kiss on his mother’s lips. "Thank you baby. I love y-" before she could finish, Malaki slapped a handful of leaves on her face. Drake fell over, hysterical. Malaki sat, clapping & laughing.
"Oh you think it’s funny?" she exclaimed. She grabbed the boy, laid him on his back & let a fistful of leaves fall down on him.
"Hey leave my son alone!" Drake got up & pushed her playfully. She turned & jumped on top of him, flinging leaves at him. Malaki soon joined in.
"Awwww, traitor!" Drake laughed. While he was slightly distracted, Nicki reached over, just barely grabbing the black plastic bag, tearing the top open. Drake looked in her direction as he heard the plastic ruffle. "Nicki what are you doing?"
"Getting my revenge." she said.
"Nicki don’t! This took me forever!"
"Oh well." She held the bag above her head. Drake reached up & caught her arm. She lost control of the bag & the leaves went flying everywhere.
"Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh." Malaki said, mesmerized as the leaves went flying, cascading down around them. His parents couldn’t help but laugh. And just then, as the light wind blew her long curly hair across her face & she laughed so hard, exposing her deep dimples, he got that feeling in the pit of his stomach. His nerves tensing as he tried as hard as he could to fight what felt natural. He wanted to pull her down & kiss her so bad. But he couldn’t. This is what he dealt with every day. The constant battle inside him between what was right & what he felt. Before he could let him get down over it, he playfully pushed her into the pile of leaves & picked up his son.
"C’mon Ki, let’s get some cocoa while mommy cleans up this mess. Dricki, yip yip."
"Awwww y’all really leavin me? Booooo!!!!" she said as they walked up the stairs.
"Have fun." Drake said laughing before closing the door.
He walked over to the window seat & began to undress himself & his son. Once their boots & coats were off & hung up, they headed for the kitchen. Malaki watched from the highchair as his father made his chocolaty drink & poured it in his sippy cup. He poured himself a cup & topped it with marshmallows & whipped cream. He clinked cups with his son before taking a sip.
“Is it good man?” he asked as he watched his son drink. Malaki took 1 large gulp before butting his cup down.
“Mmmmmmmmm.” Malaki hummed. Drake chuckled as he tipped his cup to his son.
“I hear ya buddy.” They sat enjoying their drinks when Nicki walked in the door.
“Any left for me?” she asked as she pulled off her cardigan & threw it over a chair. Drake walked to the stove & poured her a glass before sliding it across the table to her. “Thanks.” She smiled.
“Welcome.” He said softly.
“So. I talked to my mom today.”
“And she wants to steal our son for an unidentified amount of time?”
“Almost.” She sat her cup on the table & looked at him. “She wants to take him to Trinidad.”
“What?!”
“That’s what I said.”
“I love your mom but I can’t see our son going that far without me.”
“She keeps trying to guilt me. She said since he’s been to Canada, he should go there.”
“I kinda see her point.” He sighed.
“So do I. which is why I said I would finally talk to you.”
“How long has she been asking?”
“Since we got back from Toronto.” Drake sat back in his chair, deep in thought.
“When does she plan on going?”
“I don’t know. But by the way she’s asking, probably sometime soon.”
“I don’t wanna tell her no, but I was kinda lookin forward to havin him here for my birthday & shit.”
“I know.”
“But if y’all really wanna go…”
“I'm not gonna leave you here alone on your birthday. I’ll just talk to her.” just then, Drake’s phone began to ring. He looked at the caller I.D. It was his mother.
“Hey beautiful.”
“Well hello! How are you?” Sandi said in a cheery tone. His 1st bad sign.
“I'm fine & yourself?”
“Oh I'm ok. Just…bored.”
“So you called me?”
“Well yes! You're a very exciting young man.” Drake was no fool. He cut straight to the chase.
“What do you want from me?”
“Well, I just got off the phone with Carol,”
“And you're trying to persuade me to let my son go half way across the world?”
“Well not exactly. I was actually trying to persuade you to think about ALL of us going. I think it would be wonderful if our families could meet. And the tropics would be perfect for this time of year as opposed to this cold October weather, don’t you think?”
“Mom.”
“Oh, Aubrey, don’t say no! It would mean absolutely everything to me if we could all go. Even your father. I just really want us to be together as a family.”
“I don’t think Carol wants to…”
“I've talked it over with her & she loves the idea. There’s really no reason for you to say no.” drake groaned as he put his head on the table. He knew she was serious if the invitation was extended to his father.
“Let me make some phone calls. I gotta talk this over with Nicki. I’ll call you back.” He hung up.
“What’s wrong?” Nicki asked, noticing the tired look on his face.
“I think we should start packing.”
“But I just don’t know! I mean, he's still teething. What if he gets sick again? Koyoa’s busy so she can’t go. I don’t want just anyone treating him.” Nicki said as she paced the floor. It had been a week & she was still having mixed emotions about going to Trinidad. She was sitting with Drake, 40, Maria, SB & Niko, talking this over.
“I’ll be more than happy to go.” Said Maria. “I've known him all his life. I’d be more than happy to look after him.
“I couldn’t ask you to do that. I mean, with Koyoa, its 1 thing. She’s his doctor.” Said Nicki.
“It’s really no problem. Besides, I've never been. I would love to go there.”
“Nicki, there’s no reason why we can’t go, really.” Safaree said to her.
“In my opinion, I think it would be really dope if all of us went out there. Lil man gets to see his family; my brother gets to celebrate his birthday in a warm climate. Imagine all the big booty girl’s we’ll see out there!” Niko exclaimed.
“Really?” Nicki said rolling her eyes.
“Look, all I'm sayin is, sea, sand, sun, family, big booty girls. Sounds like the perfect vacation to me.” Niko shrugged.
“Just take advantage of this. Everyone is agreeing to go. When will we ever get to take our families on a trip like this?” said 40. Nicki plopped down on the floor, crossed her leg & put her hands under her chin.
“You really think it’s a good idea?” she said looking at Drake. He looked down at her sympathetically. He knew the only thing she was trying to do what was best for their son.
“I know you're only trying to do what’s best. But a little sun couldn’t hurt.”
They landed at the airport & were rushed to their convoy. After piling themselves & their belongings into their vehicles, they headed for their temporary home. It was beautiful. The pink stucco mansion sat atop a hill, overlooking mayaro beach. Surrounding it were 4 more, smaller versions of the main house. Lush gardens decorated the front lawn, surrounding a fountain. All of which is enclosed by a tall, heavy, wrought iron fence. A path curved around the main building, down a few steps to the patio that was right in the sand. The entire area shaded by large palms & banana trees. Nicki headed up the steps of the sprawling front porch & in the large oak double doors. Drake wasn’t far behind with Malaki.
“You like it?” he asked.
“I love it.” she answered. “It’ll be even better when my family gets…”
“NICKI!!!” she looked to the doorway & smiled. She was immediately bombarded by her cousins. She couldn’t help but cry. It felt so good being back with her family. But seeing his mother upset was something unusual for Malaki. He began to cry, arms reaching for her.
“It’s ok baby. Mommy’s here. I'm alright.” Nicki said as she took him into her arms. There were gasps all around & then non-stop chatter.
“Nicki he's beautiful!!!”
“Look at his eyes!” they all marveled at the sight of him. Drake took this as the perfect opportunity to make his exit. He turned to walk away when Nicki grabbed his hand.
“Where you goin?” she asked him.
“I’m gonna help unpack while y’all catch up.”
“ok.” She pulled him close, kissed the corner of his mouth, & smiled as his fingers slipped from hers. He looked back at her before heading over to the suburban where Niko & hush were unloading their luggage. Drake leaned on the passenger door & sighed.
“Aye man, I can already tell this is gonna be a bomb ass trip.” Said Niko.
“Yeah,” Drake nodded. “Me too.”
“Waaaaaaaake up! C’mon! Get up!” Drake turned over. “Cooooome on! Wake up!”
“Whyyy?” he groaned.
“Cuuuuuuuuuz it you BIRTHDAY!!!!” she exclaimed.
“All the more reason you should let me sleep.” He said pulling the covers up to his neck.
“No!” she said, snatching then back. He rolled on to his back & huffed. “Happy birthday to you.” she sang sweetly.
“Nicki, we can do this later.” Said Drake.
“Happy birthday to you.” She straddled him.
“Ok, maybe not.” He said, placing his hands on her hips.
“Happy birthday to my big head, cry baby Aubrey.”
“Cry baby, though?” he chuckled.
“Happy biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirthdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay….tooooooooooooooo….YOU!” she said as began tickling him.
“Nicki, hahahahahahahahaha! Stop!” he laughed.
“Are you gonna get up?” she asked.
“Yes. But, not before I do THIS!” he flipped her over & launched an all-out tickle attack on her. when she was laughing so hard, she couldn’t form words, he stopped.
“You're so MEAN!”
“Shut up.” He said as he hit her with a nearby pillow. He stood up & stretched before extending a hand to her. She got up & stood before him for a moment before getting up on her tip toes & kissing his lips. It wasn’t passionate. Only a peck. But that small kiss sent big waves through his body. He wanted to do it again, but didn’t want to press his luck. She smiled at him, her dimples deep, before heading for the bathroom & closing the door.
Once she came out the bathroom, dressed in green shorts & white tank top, her hair piled into a bun, he took a shower & got dressed. After, he headed downstairs clad in a v-neck polo tee & camo shorts, making his way to the kitchen where Sandi & Carol were.
“Good morning.” He said, kissing them both on the cheek.
“Happy birthday sweetie.” Sandi said hugging him.
“Thanks mom.” He said to her.
“So, how do you feel? A year older, a year wiser.” Carol said.
“I don’t know about the wise part. But I think I feel the age kickin in. I need a nap, I'm tired.”
She laughed as she playfully swatted at him with a towel.
“You don’t know old. Get our age, then you're old.”
“I don’t really think your 30’s is all that old.”
She gave him a sideways glance before a smile crept across her face. A smile so similar to that of her daughter’s.
“Always the charmer.”
He laughed as he made his way to the living room. Nicki & Maria were on the floor with Malaki. SB was out on the patio, his iPhone to his ear. Drake sat on the carpet next to Nicki, picked up his son & kissed him before placing him in his lap.
“I hope you got some good sleep there’s so much I wanna do today.” Nicki said, excited.
“Like what?”
“It’s a surprise.”
“Can I have a hint?”
“Just know I’m gonna get you real wet.”
Drake shot her a sideways glance. He was just thinking of a sly response when Safaree walked in.
“Is everything set?” Nicki asked.
“Yeah. They're ready right now.”
“Well let’s go!”
“Well me & Maria got some stuff to do but yall go ahead. We’ll meet you back here tonight.”
“Stuff like what?”
“Just some stuff Nicki!”
“But I wanna know!”
“You will. Chill.”
“I wanna know now.” She pouted.
“Don’t you got somewhere to be?”
“Oh yeah. Come on Drake, let’s go!” she said standing up & pulling his arm.
‘Wait,” Drake interjected. “can I eat 1st?”
Ugh! Hurry up! Nicki groaned.
She sat by impatiently waiting for him to finish his meal. Meanwhile, Carol, Sandi & Malak headed to the suburban. Once he was done, Nicki wasted no time rushing him to the car. Once everyone was loaded up, they headed up the coast to a more secluded part of the island. The white sands were soft like cashmere under their feet. The slightest moves they made caused the fine grains of sand to shift beneath them. Lush tropical vegetation lined the stretch of beach all around. On the far side of the beach there was a small hut. When they walked over to it they were greeted by a tanned woman with sun bleached hair. Freckles were dusted over her fit body. She looked like she could be in her early 40’s.
“Hello!” she greeted them all warmly. “I understand some of you were interested in going surfing today?”
“What?” Drake asked.
“Yes!” Nicki exclaimed.
“Well my name is Lisa & I’ll be your instructor today. Come follow me & you can pick out your boards.” They walked around the hut to the far side where a large rack sat full of surfboards. “You can pick anyone you like.” Nicki circled the rack, observing each board. She contemplated for a whole before deciding on a white board with pink & purple flowers painted over it. Drake grabbed a board with blue waves painted on it. Once everyone else decided on boards & Carol & Sandi were settled on the beach with Malaki, they headed to the shore. Lisa, with an orange & red sunrise board in hand, was beside them.
“Alright, 1st thing you need to do is get comfortable. Whatever you're not wearing in the water, take it off now. Shirts, pants, extra jewelry. Take it all off right now.” Drake took off his tee, exposing his chest. Nicki removed her shorts & bangles, tossing them over to her mother. Malaki picked them up, banging them against each other. “Are you ready now?” they nodded. “So, one of the most important parts of surfing is the pop up.”
“Pop up?” Drake asked.
“Yes. The pop up is the motion of standing erect on your board. It’s kind of difficult to master. But I'm sure after a few tried you all will be fine. Let’s practice on land shall we?” they all laid their board out on the sand in front of them & stretched out on their bellies. They watched as Lisa mimicked a paddle before placing her hands flat beside her. She lifted herself up a bit & in 1 swift movement, she was on her feet. They practiced a few times before standing back up & marching to the waterfront. “Ok, next we’re gonna attach our ankle straps. This is so you don’t lose your board in the event that you wipeout, which you will do. After that, we’re gonna walk out as far as we can. Make sure you drag your feet a little bit to kick up the sand. You never know what’s on the ocean floor. I don’t want you to be surprised by a stingray or something.” They all walked out into the water as far as they could. They were about waist deep in the water when Lisa instructed them to lay their boards out in front of them. She gave a quick lesson on board balance which they seemed to master pretty quickly. Once they were properly balanced, they paddled out, deeper into the ocean. The task was easier said than done. The further out they went, the stronger the tide got, pushing them back to shore. “Ok so now comes the actual surfing. When the whitecaps roll in, try to paddle a bit towards the shore to build up momentum. Then, as the wave pushes you toward the shore remember everything I've showed you. I’ll demonstrate.” A wave was rolling in. Lisa balanced on her board, paddled in & just as the wave rolled past them, stood up & was surfing. She made it all look effortless. They were ready to try. “You’ll do fine. Make sure you keep a little space between each other. Good luck!” She smiled at them before paddling back to shore. Drake & Nicki looked at each other before looking back out to the vast ocean behind them.
“Who’s goin 1st? Me or you?” Drake asked.
“I don’t know. I mean I can go, if you're scared.” Nicki said nonchalantly.
“Scared? Me? I laugh in the face of danger! Ha, ha, ha!” Drake bragged.
“Yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh. So, you're going 1st then?”
“Am I goin 1st? Psh! Ch-. YEAH I'm goin 1st!” Drake said with a hesitant look. Nicki gave him a wry smile before paddling off.
“Alright! Go for it!” she told him. Drake gulped hard before padding around, facing the shore. He looked back & saw a low white cap wave coming toward him. He did just as Lisa instructed, pushing himself forward, picking up momentum. He pushed himself up into a semi squat position trying to keep his balance. When the wave caught up to him, it jerked him forward with unanticipated force. He wasn’t even fully erect before he fell off the board in an animated fashion. Nicki couldn’t help but laugh. Drake popped his head up above the surface & scowled at her.
“I would love to see you try this, while you're laughing at my expense.”
“No problem.” Nicki smiled. She looked back & saw a lazy wave coming toward them. She paddled out for momentum before slowly getting into a standing position. She swayed a bit as the wave carried her close to shore before finding her balance. She crossed her arms & smiled.
“Nah, run that shit back. That was a small ass wave!” Drake protested.
“Don’t be mad cuz I can surf & you can’t!”
“You can’t surf. You got lucky.”
“Yeah, yeah.”
“Alright, so next wave, we both paddle out. We’ll see then.”
“Ok.” Nicki shrugged. She looked away nervously as she paddled out deeper into the water. They were a good 10 feet apart when they felt the waters shift. A wave was rolling in. it was a sizeable wave that was picking up speed as it came closer. They both took deep breaths before getting into position. They went through the motions; paddle out, arms in front, push up, hop up, find balance. Drake was steady in his position while Nicki was still struggling. Fear & adrenaline surged through them as they felt the wave getting closer. They could hear the roar of the surf coming toward them. The water rolled up, propelling them forward. Nicki held her arms out like she was flying, letting the wind sweep beneath her arms. She looked over at Drake, looking like a pro, knees slightly bent, using his feet to guide his board across the wave. He looked over at her & smiled before steering his way next to her. They glided along the wave together. Drake furrowed his brow as he heard what sounded like another wave coming toward them.
“Brace yourself.” He said, putting some distance between them. The wave broke just before it reached them, propelling them forward at great speed. Drake was holding his own, but Nicki was too unsteady. She curved the direction of her board toward Drake before grabbing hold of him. This threw him off balance & they both went plunging into the sea. The wave rolled over them, plunging them deeper into the water, but as it made its way closer to land, it pulled them back up again. They both broke the surface, gasping for air.
“You ok?” he asked Nicki as he balanced his forearms on his board, his breath ragged.
“Yes I'm fine. I'm so sorry. I didn’t mean to make you fall.”
“it’s alright. But, where’s your board?”
“What?” Nicki looked behind her & saw her surfboard floating up to shore. They looked at each other & laughed. “So much for that ankle strap.”
“Yeah.” Drake loosened the Velcro from his own ankle & pushed it toward the shore. They watched as it hit the sandy shore with a “thump” right next to hers.
“So is it ok to say we both could use a little more work at this surfing thing?” Nicki laughed.
“Yeah, let’s go with that.”
They began swimming back to the coast where their family was, waving, snapping pictures, when they heard a large splash behind them.
“What the fuck was that?” Drake asked, looking at Nicki.
“I don’t know.” She said, a twinge of fear in her voice.
Drake grabbed Nicki’s hand, pulling her close to him. As soon as he pulled her to him, something shot past them. Two large masses swam in front of them & then made a curve around back behind them. They looked to the beach were their family was. Lisa called to them.
“Swim very slowly! It might be a predator & if it is, the more you run, the more they’ll want to chase you!”
Their hearts began to race at the thought that this may be their final moments. Their grip tightened around each other. They tried to move closer to the shore in a slow pace, careful not to splash too often. They were almost to shore when Nicki felt something brush across her foot & screamed.
“Oh my god!”
“What?!” Drake exclaimed.
“It touched me!!!”
“What is it?!”
“I don’t know! I don’t know!”
They were about to make a run for it when they were splashed in the face with water. They wiped their faces & looked to see 2 very chipper dolphins clicking & splashing. They were beautiful light grey bottlenose dolphins; 1 larger than the other. They seemed to be very delighted & eager to interact with humans.
“Oh hello there!” Lisa said happily as she walked into the water. The dolphins nodded at her clicking happily.
“You know them?” Nicki asked.
“Yes. This is Nani & her calf. She was a captive dolphin at a sea park a few years ago, but we petitioned to have her set free. She doesn’t come around very often, but she loves humans.”
Lisa reached into the water & patted the larger dolphin.
“Why did she chase us like that?”
“Maybe she just wanted to play. She still loves to have fun.”
“Is she safe?”
“Oh yes. Nani would never hurt anyone.”
Nicki looked at Drake before stretching out her arm slowly toward Nani. She placed her shaky hand in top of the animals head. Nani moved closer, her head leaning forward.
“What does she want?” Nicki asked.
“Maybe she just wants a kiss.” Lisa said.
Nicki leaned forward, puckering her lips. Nani moved up & placed her snout to Nicki’s lips.
“She likes you.” Lisa said to her.
Nani yelped in excitement as she swam laps around them. She stopped again, this time in front of Drake & extended her fin to him. He took it, mimicking a handshake.
“The two of you must be special. She’s usually not this sociable with humans these days.”
“She’s beautiful.” Nicki said, astonished as she stroked Nani’s skin. Nani moved closer to Drake, sliding her body under his harm, leaving his hand to rest on her dorsal fin before excitedly nodding her head up & down. Soon, her calf did the same to Nicki.
“What does she want us to do?”
“Guess she wants to take you on a swim.”
“And you're sure this is safe?”
“Dolphins have never been known to hurt humans. I think you'll be fine.”
They looked at each other for a brief moment before holding tight to the dolphins. As soon as they had a good grip, the animals shot off like bullets in the water. They dove down below the waves & made their way deeper into the sound. After coming up for air, they made their way just off the coast to the reef. They couldn’t believe their eyes. Beautiful red sea fan coral protruded from the ocean floor creating an amazing contrast to the deep blue of the water. But when they got beyond that, there was so much life. Large schools of tropical fish swam around them. It was astonishing. Clown fish swam in between the tentacles of a sea anemone. It was almost magical. Stingrays floated up from the sandy ocean floor in a synchronicity similar to that of a whimsical ballet. It was such a beautiful sight, they never wanted to leave. But they knew they had to. After almost 15 minutes, they were headed back to shore. Their mothers were walking along the beach with a barefoot Malaki.
“Hey Ki! You wanna see a dolphin?!” Drake asked as he scooped the child into his arms.
“Be careful!” Carol called out.
“I will.” Drake called out. He carried the child out into the water to where the large mammals were. “Look Ki-Ki!” he said, excited. Malaki extended his small arm out to the animal. Nani nudged his hand with her snout, clicking softly.
“Ooooooooooooooh!” Malaki said in awe. The dolphin was equally mesmerized. She circled them, splashing as Malaki laughed.
“How freakin dope is this? What other kid can say they swam with dolphins before they were even 1?!” Nicki laughed as she stood to Drake’s left, snapping photos.
“He is truly blessed to experience such a miracle like this.” Lisa said, wonderstruck.
“Yes,” said Carol. “completely blessed.”
After almost 45 minutes of playing, the dolphins reluctantly swam away. The beach was becoming more populated so Drake & Nicki didn’t really want to stick around. They thanked Lisa, paid her, & headed back to the car. The drive home seemed to be a lot shorter than the drive up. Drake, Nicki & Malaki sat in the back, singing a silly song about being down by the bay as Carol & Sandi beamed silently over how happy they were. Malaki was fast asleep before they reached the house & Drake wasn’t far behind. When they pulled up to the compound, Nicki grabbed the sleeping child & took him up to his room. Drake headed inside walking to the kitchen where the women were busy moving about.
“What’s going on in here?” He asked.
“Cooking is what’s going on.” Maria said, stirring something in a pot.
“Can I help?” he asked.
“No! You get out of here.” Nicki told him as she tied an apron around her tiny waist.
“What? Why?”
“The women are handling this. You guys need to get out of our way. Go to the beach or something.” Carol said, shooing him away.
Nicki pushed him to the front door.
“O….k. I’ll see you later I guess.”
“Great. See you later.”
She slammed the door behind him. He shrugged before heading down to the beach where his father & the rest of his family was. Everyone was sitting around a cooler, a boom box playing Caribbean tunes as they talked. He pulled a water from the cooler before taking an empty seat underneath the shade of a palm tree. The men were discussing sports, the weather & a few other topics that Drake didn’t care to engage in. His shades were on & his arms rested behind his head, soaking up the warm sun. It was hot but there was a cool breeze that swept over him every so often, making the heat less uncomfortable. He closed his eyes & let the sound of the waves lull him to sleep. He didn’t wake up until he felt something, or someone rather, fall into his lap. He opened his eyes to see Nicki.
“Hey!”
“Hey.” He groaned.
“You hungry?”
“I could eat.”
She turned to him holding a plate of steamed shrimp & cocktail sauce for them to share.
“Did you have fun today?” she asked him.
“Yeah, I did actually.”
“I'm glad.”
“Where’s Malaki?”
“In the house.”
“Why didn’t you bring him out?”
“Cuz I want you to have some time to yourself. It’s your birthday. I want you to enjoy it.”
“I can enjoy it with him around.”
“I know. But I was just thinking that you never really get to do any grown up stuff with your family. I just want you to sit out here, listen to some music, and have a couple drinks with your boys. We’ll be close by, we’re safe. I want you to have a break for once.”
Drake was confused. It was nice, but scary at the same time. Why was she being so nice to him? Was this a game? Was she finally coming around to being her old self again? He couldn’t figure it out. He was on his guard, but he wouldn’t question it.
“Thank you. I appreciate this very much.”
She sat the plate on the small table next to him before she leaned into him & kissed his lips, lingering for a moment before pulling away.
He looked at her. Her eyes a shimmery brown in the sunset. Her golden bronze skin reflecting the rays of light in a way that made her seem to glow against the tropical backdrop. Again, that feeling rose in him. But this time, something was different. The way she looked at him was like she knew exactly what he was thinking. She kissed him again, slower this time. This time, he pulled away first. He didn’t know what was going on with her. It was really starting to scare him. He knew how she could be. He didn’t want to press further & she regret it later. She bit her lip & tucked a few loose strands of hair behind her ear before standing up.
“I'm gonna go check on the baby. I’ll be back later.”
She looked back & smiled as she jogged to the house.
“She looks like she’s in a good mood.”
Drake turned his head to see his father.
“Yeah. She does.”
“A lot better since the last time I seen her.”
Drake took a sip of his beer.
“Maybe now, you'll finally get some pussy.” Dennis mumbled.
And just like that, the beer was out of Drake’s mouth, into the air.
“C’mon man!”
“Awww, nigga don’t act like we ain’t adults now!”
“Yeah but that doesn’t mean I wanna have this conversation with you!”
“Well I know she sees the same starving dog I see & she’s tryin to throw you a bone.”
“No. this is not happening.”
“Oh come ooooooon! You lookin at that girl like she’s a piece of meat. If you hungry nigga, go eat! And I mean that in every sense of the word.”
“I think I'm gonna throw up.”
“Well if that’s not what you do then,”
“Nooooooo! Stop it! My ears are bleeding!!!”
“I'm just sayin if you wanna love a lady, you gotta take it downtown sometimes, if you know what I mean.”
“Ya know what? I'm gonna go.”
“That’s what I'm talkin about. You go up in there, take her in a closet & rip them clothes off.”
“Good bye dad.”
“Don’t take no for an answer.”
“I’ll see you later.”
“TAKE IT DOWNTOWN!”
Drake walked away as fast as he could. He was headed toward the house but was distracted when he caught SB screaming at whoever was on the end of his phone call. He hung up & threw his phone in the sand before running his hand over his face.
“Yo, chill. Why are you so wound up? We’re all out here to have a good time. No need to be so hype. Relax.”
“My bad son. I kno its ya birthday & all dat. I just… he sighed heavily.”
“Whats up man? Talk talk to me.”
“SB took a swig of his beer.”
“This is my last night.”
“What?”
“Like, to do me. Be single. Well, not single but…”
“Wait, wait, what are you talkin about?”
“I'm getting married tomorrow.”
Drake stared at him, surprised.
“Are you serious?”
“Yeah man.”
“So what, you scared or some shit?”
“Nah, I'm not scared. It’s just, I'm…I don’t know. Anxious. I wanna do this. I love this woman. But it’s like, really hittin me that after tomorrow, I'm gonna be spendin my life with this 1 person forever. So I just wanna do it big. But not too big. Not no hangover type shit. But I wanna relax, have some fun.”
Drake sat staring at Safaree. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He was going to marry Maria tomorrow. He hadn’t even known her for a full year. But here he they both were, ready to take such a big step. It made him happy to see two people expressing their love for each other without worrying about the details. He was happy for them. He put a hand on SB’s shoulder.
“Well then…let’s have some fun.”
He stood up & walked over to the boom box & turned the volume on full blast.
“Hands up in the air. I just want the, I just want the baddest bitch in the world right here on my lap.”
The men smiled as they raised their bottles in the air, nodding their head to the beat of Big Sean’s “My Last”. They sat out on the beach, having a good time until Nicki brought out Drake’s cake. It was a beautiful circular cake with chocolate fondant & sparkler candles. After their dessert, they enjoyed the rest of the night, talking, drinking &playing cards by firelight. When the sun had set & most of their family had went off to bed, Drake sat along the shore, looking out over the vast ocean. Nicki came & sat beside him.
“Hey” She said bumping his shoulder against his arm.
“Hi.” He said smiling.
“Whatcha doin?”
“Nothing.”
“Oh.”
She sat back, propping herself up with her arms.
“It’s freakin beautiful out here.” She sighed.
“It is.”
Just then, there was a loud bang & then a burst of color in the sky. Fireworks were erupted all around.
“Wow. All types of amazing stuff is happening today. You get a fireworks display & everything.”
“I wonder what the occasion is.”
“Maybe it’s just cause you're special.” She kissed his cheek.
He smiled before taking a swig of his beer.
“Yeah.” He sighed.” Maybe it is.”
The next day, everyone was off to a good start. By 4 p.m. everyone was dressed & heading for the yacht. It was semi-formal affair, but still elegant. They dropped anchor just over 50 miles off shore. Earthy wooden chairs were set up on the main deck. Drake Nicki & Malaki were some of the 1st to take their seats. Drake held their son as Nicki adjusted the crisscross straps of her nude ruched halter dress. She then threw her long curly hair over 1 shoulder. Malaki was on his way to sleep. The subtle rocking motion of the boat made him sleepy. He sucked on the sleeves of his tan blazer & drifted off to dream world. Not that anyone could blame him. The wedding was supposed to start 15 minutes ago but no one had seen the bride or groom. Everyone was growing a little impatient. Nicki’s cream Fendi wrap platforms clicked rapidly against the deck as she bounced her leg.
What is going on?”
“I don’t know. “
“I hope everything is ok.”
“I think I should go check.”
Drake got up, handed her the sleeping child & adjusted his tan linen blazer before heading below deck. Once he was down the steps, he turned left, heading for lounge area. When he entered the room, he saw a very distraught SB sitting on the sofa in front of the large window, his hands over his face.
“Ayo SB.”
He lifted his head to look at Drake. A weary expression on his face.
“You alright man?”
Drake took a seat on the sofa next to him.
“No.”
“What’s goin on?”
“Half the flowers aren’t here; I don’t know where the rings are. I spilled water on my tux. This is a disaster. I'm ready to call this whole shit off.”
“Alright, first thing I need you to do is breathe. No one would know that there’s not enough flowers. It’s beautiful up there. The rings are in your pocket. You checked that shit like a thousand times last night. And nigga, its water. Nobody’s gonna know. Relax. Everything is gonna be fine. You love her; she loves you, that’s all that matters. You do love her, right?”
“Yeah man. Of course I love her. I just want this shit to be perfect for her. I mean, I know we’re gonna do this big thing with our families when we get back home but…this is it. Like, we’re actually getting married today. I don’t want her to look back & hate it. I feel like your wedding is gonna determine how you marriage is gonna go. I don’t wanna start it off wrong.”
“I understand man. I really do. But if you keep her waiting, how do you think that’s gonna make her feel? She’s gonna think you had second thoughts. Don’t put those thoughts in her head man. Just go up there & do what you gotta do. Don’t let a good 1 get away.”
Safaree took a deep breath & stood up.
“You right man. I don’t know what I was thinkin. I'm ready to do this.”
“Alright! That’s what I'm talkin about!”
The two men stood up, dapping each other.
“Let’s go!”
“Good. I’ll see you up there.”
“Aye, Drake.”
He turned back around, facing SB.
“Thanks man.”
The two men hugged briefly before Drake headed back up to the deck & sat in his seat.
“Is everything ok? Nicki asked.”
“Yeah. He said. Everything is fine.”
The ceremony was short & sweet. SB was very dapper in his cream linen suit next to his bride who wore a beautiful short white strapless dress with a Swarovski crystal sash that cinched her tiny waist & glittery Louboutin’s on her feet. Her hair was intricately braided around a diamond tiara with curls flowing down her back. They said their vows to a flowy instrumental version of Beyoncé’s “1+1” played softly in the background as they said their vows. They entire ceremony went off without a hitch. By the time they walked back down the aisle as husband & wife, both the bride & broom were in tears.
Once it was over, drinks & food were served. Everyone mingled around, congratulating the couple on their new marriage, wishing them well. It was almost 8 & the sun was setting. Everyone was on the deck, relaxing. Maria was in SB’s lap, gigging to him as she traced over his lips before kissing them.
“Aww man, get a room!” Niko joked.
“Don’t hate.”
“I'm not. I'm not ready for that ball & chain. That shit is disgusting.”
“No its not! I think it’s cute.” Nicki chimed in.
“Sure you do. Y’all been together for 800 years.”
“It hasn’t been that long.”
“Longer than them & they already married. She pregnant or something?”
“No. Not yet. But if you love somebody & you know you wanna be with them for the rest of your life, why wait?” said SB
“That’s a good question.”
They all turned their attention to Nicki & Drake.
“What?” Drake said.
“When y’all goin get married? I mean it aint like y’all goin be with anybody else. Aubrey ain’t havin that shit.”
They all laughed.
“Man, this past year has been crazy. I don’t think I got it in me to be tryin 2 plan no wedding. I have a hard enough time planning a play date.” Said Drake.
“Yeah. Kids take up so much of your time.” Nicki added.
Niko was going to say something else but Drake shot him a look that let him know wasn’t the time.
“Well yeah, I guess.” He shrugged.
They moved on to other topics for a whole but by 8 they were headed back to shore & Nicki & Maria were below deck checking on Malaki, leaving the men to talk.
“Man, I'm sorry.” Niko said to Drake.
“Sorry for what?”
“I know this shit gotta hurt.”
“What’s gotta hurt?”
“SB getting married, man.” Said 40.
“Why would that hurt? I'm happy for him. This is a beautiful thing.”
“Yeah but you & Nic been together how long?” Niko asked.
Drake took a sip of his beer.
“When you goin marry that girl?” Dennis said bluntly. This immediately changed Drake’s mood.
“I really don’t wanna hear a marriage lecture right now.”
“I'm serious. Yall got a baby, livin together. Right now yall just playin house. When you goin make it official?” Dennis asked.
“When the time is right.”
“I’d say the time was about right before that baby got here it’s a lil late for that.” Dennis took a sip of his drink.
“I'm not gonna marry her if she’s not ready.”
“You need to think about what’s best 4 that boy.”
“Oh yes so let’s rush into marriage before we’re really sure so we can end up like you.” Drake spat.
Everyone took a sip of their beer.
“Aubrey, listen.” Dennis pleaded.
“No, I don’t wanna listen to you. I honestly couldn’t give a fuck about anything you have to say on the topic.”
“I know that this may sound a little crazy coming from me.”
“That’s an understatement.”
“But just hear me out.”
Drake say up, arms rested on his knees, hands folded.
“I'm listening.”
“Ok, your mother & I, we were different. We both didn’t have it all. I didn’t have it all. I wasn’t grown up enough to be married, let alone a father. But you too, y’all are. You love each other. You got good heads on your shoulders. You're not gonna run away & I know that’s gotta be a thing she’s afraid of, given the way your father & her father poorly behaved. Neither one of us are good examples of what men should do or be. But you are. I just feel like if y’all take that step, it’ll soothe her fears a little bit, you know? And besides that, I know you love that girl & because of the way your mother raised you, I know it’s your nature to wanna be married & have that picture perfect family. I can tell you're not satisfied with the way things are right now.”
“As long as she’s happy, I’ll be ok. That’s what love is about, considering the other person’s feelings.”
“If you know that’s true, why do you continue to let her be selfish?” 40 asked.
“Man, she’s…depressed. She’s got a lot goin on.”
Safaree sat up, clearing his throat.
“I'm sorry man, but to me, that’s no excuse. Her excuse is you.” he said to Drake.
“What? Me? How?”
“Man, she never has to think about the fact that she’s fuckin up cuz you don’t let her. You always defend her.”
“Well what am I supposed to do? Attack her? I can’t do that.”
“I'm not sayin that, but you can’t just let he keep playin you like she is. I’m tellin you she does it cuz you let her.”
“Yeah,” Niko interjected. “I don’t know Nicki as well as you guys do but if you gave her an ultimatum, what do you think she would do?”
“Yeah like, what could she say? ‘Oh I didn’t wanna marry him cuz he loves me & wants to be with me forever.’ That shit don’t even begin to make sense.” Said SB.
“Especially if the 1 thing she’s afraid of is you leaving. How can she say no if you're trying to do something that shows her that you don’t wanna ever leave her?” 40 said.
Drake sat back, sipping his drink. His emotions were conflicting. On one side, he knew that were right. She was being selfish. It wasn’t fair to him that she was so unwilling to compromise. But on the other hand, he loved her & it was only his nature to protect her. He never wanted to upset her. Her feelings always held priority over his own.
“I'm not saying Nicki isn’t a wonderful girl. Because she is. We all know that. She’s honestly the best girl you ever been with. But you're my son. I know this fucks with you. All I'm sayin is I want you to be happy too. I'm not sayin go down there right now & make her choose. But after this vacation, maybe you should make her think about it for once. Life is too short to be wastin time like this. Y’all need to get out of this rut you're in & be happy.”
Drake got up & headed over to the bow of the boat. The wind whistled past. He looked down to the ocean. He focused on the soft waves the ship created, blocking out everything else. He didn’t want this on his mind. The thought of displeasing Nicki in any way was never ideal. He couldn’t focus on this now. His thoughts were everywhere. He needed to be alone & think. Once they were on shore, he headed for the main house & went upstairs to his room. He stripped down to his boxers & lay in the bed, thinking. All the thoughts racing through his maid made him tired. Before too long, he was asleep.
The next few days were casual. They didn’t leave the house much. Safaree & Maria were out enjoying a short honeymoon. Nicki was spending time with her family, giving Drake time to think. He decided that since everything was going good, he wouldn’t ruin it. He hoped that things were changing, given her good mood but if they didn’t then he would talk to her.
Time passed on & before they knew it, it was their last day on vacation. SB & Maria had just arrived from Tobago & Nicki was determined to spend this last day in nothing but sunshine. By 11:30 she was on the beach with Malaki, looking for shells to take back home. Drake looked on from the balcony as she walked down the beach with their son. He waddled along with her, bucket in hand down the beach. Her long white maxi dress flapped in the wind. Malaki squealed every time the waves brushed against his Jordans. He made his way down the staircase & across the courtyard to the sand. He crept up behind the child & scooped him up into his arms. Malaki squealed in delight.
“Did you find any shells for daddy?” Drake asked.
The child reached his chubby hand into his plastic pail & pulled out a small conch.
“Ooooooooh.” He said as he held it up to his father’s face.
“Ooh! Is this for me? Thank you.”
Malaki dropped the shell into Drake’s palm.
“Great. He gives you all the good shells.” She sighed as she held up a broken clam shell.
“Awww. I'm sorry. Here.”
He took the shell & placed it in her hand. He started to pull away but she wrapped her fingers around his. He looked at her & she smiled. He let his fingers interlock with hers before they began walking again.
“So what’s the plan for the day? Just relax out here on the beach?”
“I don’t know. I just want to enjoy myself. Have fun.”
“Really?”
“Yeah.”
“Ok then. Let’s start with tag. You're it!”
Drake took off with the baby down the beach. Nicki took off her sandals, throwing them to the side, before bolting off after them. Drake slowed up, letting her catch up to them.
“You're it pooh!” She said smiling.
Drake sat the child down on the sand.
“Now you gotta catch us! Come on!” Drake laughed.
They both jogged around slowly as Malaki chased them. When he caught up to them, they both fell dramatically to the ground.
“You caught us! You're so fast!” Nicki said as she raised the child over her head. She brought him down & kissed his cheek before sitting him next to her on the ground.
“You know technically he only caught you. So I'm not it.” said drake.
Nicki turned over & kissed his cheek before bolting off down the shore.
“Now you are!” she shouted. Drake got up & within seconds was on her heels. He caught her by her waist & lifted her in the air, swinging her around in a circle as she laughed. The waves crashed against the sand, the water soaking his converses.
“Aww damn! You see what you did?!” He ran out into the ocean.
“Don’t you put me in that water, Aubrey!”
He carried her farther out into the tide. The water was almost to his waist. He lowered her closer to the water. She kept her knees bent, tucked to her chest.
“Baby nooo! You're gonna get me soaked.”
“That’s the idea.”
Nicki rolled her eyes.
“You better get down or imma drop you.”
You wouldn’t dare.”
“Oops.” He said as he let her fall.
“Aaaaahhhhhrrrrgggghhhhhh! Why did you do that you freakin jerk!?” She splashed him.
He splashed her back. They splashed back & forth for a while until they heard a squeal from the shore. Malaki was knee deep in the tide, laughing & clapping as he watched his parents.
“You wanna play with us too?” Drake splashed some water at Malaki. He stood there shocked for a second before he screamed at the top of his lungs as he used his tiny hands to splash water at his father. Soon the three of them were soaked, splashing each other. Once they were tired of playing in the water, they all lay out on the warm sand to dry. Drake had removed his shirt & shoes, laying only in his shorts while a naked Malaki lay resting on his chest, his strong arms wrapped around the boy.
“I'm still mad at you for getting me wet like that. That’s the last thing I had to wear before we go home. Now what am I gonna wear?”
“It’s the beach. Who needs clothes? You got a bathing suit on, don’t you?”
“Yeah but its…”
“It’s what?”
“…revealing.”
“So?”
“I'm still fat & have like 20,000 stretchmarks.”
“You were never fat & so what? All sexy women have stretchmarks.”
“Not makin me feel better.”
“Not here to make you feel better. I'm here to tell you the truth. Stretchmarks are sexy. Shows you're real & not some…Barbie doll. No pun intend. Besides, you're stretchmarks ain’t even that bad. If you're not lookin for them you won’t even know they're there.”
“I don’t know.”
“Let me see. I’ll tell you if it looks bad.”
“No you won’t.”
“Yes I will, I promise.”
She looked at him, unconvinced.
“I’m gonna go back to the house to get a shawl or something.”
“Alright. If you insist. But I bet it looks fine”
She playfully kicked some sand at him before running to the house.
Drake was making himself comfortable, one hand behind his head when he heard the sound of a camera shutter.
“Maaaaaaaaaa! Come on!”
“Maaaaaaaaaa! Come on!”
“Oh hush! I need some new pictures for my scrapbook.”
“You never wanna let me & my lil man relax.”
“Well I just want capture every moment.”
“Yeah, yeah.”
“Where's Nicki?”
“In the house. I threw her in the water so she went to go change.”
Sandi took a seat in the sand next to her son.
“I'm glad you two have been getting along since we've been here.”
“Me too. It's been a while since I've seen her like this.”
“Let's hope it stays this way. I enjoy seeing the both of you happy.”
“Aubrey, look at you too!” Carol said smiling. “I hope my grandson has on some sunscreen since he's out here in his birthday suit. Sandi did you get a picture?”
“Yes ma'am!” Sandi said holding up her Kodak easyshare by the wrist strap.
“I don’t know if Nicki put any on her. I'll go find out.” Drake handed the, now awake, Malaki over to his mother before getting up & heading toward the house. He jogged up the stairs to his room to look for Nicki. He didn’t see her but the bathroom door was closed.
“Nic.” he said as he knocked.
“Whaaaaat?”
“Did you put sunscreen on the baby?”
“No. but there’s some on the dresser.”
He walked over to the dresser & came back to the door.
“What are you doing? Come back outside.”
“No. I look like a whale.”
“Nicki, shut up. You do not.”
“Yes I do. Leave me alone.”
“Let me see.”
“No! Go away!”
“Nicki,”
“Get out! I’ll be down soon.”
He sighed before turning around & heading back out to the beach. He took his son back into his arms & rubbed the sunblock on him.
“He’s been trying to get out there to that water. Maybe you should take him back out there.”
“You wanna go for a swim man?” He asked his son as he held him out in front of him. “c’mon. Let’s go.”
He carried the child on his hip out to the ocean. Drake waded in the water with his son, waving sporadically to his mother as she snapped pictures. He laughed as the child shuddered when his father dunked him chin deep in the water & back up again. After almost 45 minutes, Malaki was getting tired again. Drake walked back to shore.
“Awww, is he all tuckered out?” Sandi asked.
“Yeah. Might be a little hungry too.” Said Drake as he laid him down on a towel to put a new diaper on him.
“Awwwww come here nana's baby.” Sandi took the child into her arms. Malaki sat back on her, eating a piece of orange.
“I'm gonna go check on Nicki. I wanna make sure she's not having a nervous breakdown over this bathing suit.”
“Oh dear. Still thinking she's overweight?”
“Yes.” Drake sighed.
“She looks wonderful. I don't know why she doesn't see it.”
“Me either.” Drake said shaking his head. He stood up & brushed the sand off himself.” I'll be back.” He sighed.
“I'm gonna go check on Nicki. I wanna make sure she's not having a nervous breakdown over this bathing suit.”
“Oh dear. Still thinking she's overweight?”
“Yes.” Drake sighed.
“She looks wonderful. I don't know why she doesn't see it.”
“Me either.” Drake said shaking his head. He stood up & brushed the sand off himself.” I'll be back.” He sighed.
Drake took his time strolling the beach, looking into the dense jungle beside him. The tall coconut trees shaded the ground he walked over. Out the corner of his eye, he spotted a wild, yellow hibiscus blooming amongst the undergrowth. He plucked it from it’s stem & breathed in its soft floral fragrance. He thought it would be perfect for Nicki. He twirled it between his fingers as he walked closer to the house. Just as he looked up, a large piece of black fabric flew into his face. He pulled it away to see Nicki running toward him.
“I'm sorry.” She said as she took the fabric from him. He couldn’t stop staring at her. Her hair was a sea of waves down her back. Her body clad in a deep green 1 piece bathing suit. The top & bottom were closely crocheted together, while being bound to each other by a loosely knitted length of fabric down her mid-section, fashioned in an arch on both sides to both mimic & accentuate her curves. Drake couldn’t help but stare, only being broken from his trance by the jingle of her bangles on her wrists as she tied the sash around her full hips. He looked at her as she looked back at him. She tucked her hair behind her ear & smiled. “what?” she asked.
“You look……”
“Is it bad? I knew it was bad. Ugh! I feel so fat! I'm gonna go change.” Drake caught her arm just as she tried to turn around.
“No.” he said pulling her close to him. He placed his finger under her chin, making her eyes meet his. He pressed his lips against hers & kissed her slowly. His tongue gently glided over her bottom lip, willing her to part them, letting him enter. She obliged him, massaging his tongue with his softly. He slid his hands down her body & rested them on her hips before, by some sort of miracle, willing himself away. He rested his forehead against hers. “You look beautiful.” He slid the golden hibiscus in her hair & kissed her temple.
They joined hands & headed down the beach, back to where their family was. Sandi & Dennis were paying peek-a-boo with Malaki while Carol sat, sipping lemonade under a shady palm. Dennis looked at Nicki & smiled.
“It ain’t fair, the way you tease us poor men Ms. Nicki.” he joked.
“I’m sorry.” She giggled.
“It’s quite alright. You look wonderful.”
“Thank you.” she blushed. They sat down & played with Malaki until he was in a deep sleep. A soft ocean breeze swept over them. Malaki was fast asleep, cradled into his mother’s side. Drake stroked the child’s locks gently before bending down to kiss his forehead. Just then, SB was heading toward them.
“Ayo Drake. Jet ski, you down?” He looked to Nicki.
“Ayo Drake. Jet ski, you down?” He looked to Nicki.
“You wanna come?”
“No, you can go ahead.”
C’mon Nic! Maria’s comin too. It’ll be fun.” SB said to her.
“I don’t wanna be in the way.”
“You're not in the way.” Drake told her. “Besides, you said you wanted to have fun, right?” Nicki looked over to her mother.
“Is it alright if…”
“Goodbye! Why would you even ask me?” said Carol.
“Oop. Ok then.” Drake extended his hand to her, helping her up before they took off down the beach to the pier.
“Hey guys!” Maria said waving.
“Hey baby.” SB said before kissing her cheek.
“So what are we doing? A race?” Drake asked.
“Sounds good.”Maria said.
“Where to?”asked SB
“Around the keys & back.” Nicki said, pointing out to the small islets almost a miles off the coast.
“Alright.” The men shrugged.
“Whats the prize?” Drake inquired.
“Two stacks.” said SB
“That’s a little cheap, don’t you think?” Drake taunted.
“What?” SB exclaimed, clearly insulted.
“Nevermind. I get it. It’s ok if you're scared.” Drake jeered.
“Nah, fuck that! Ten stacks.”
“You sure about that?”
“Ten stacks nigga.”
“Alright.” Drake shrugged.
“Just put the vest on nigga.”
Drake laughed as he slid the life vest over his bare chest. Nicki untied the sash from her waist & pulled her own vest on. The pairs hopped on their respective jet skis & revved up their engines.
“You sure you wanna do this? It’s ok to back out now.” SB said, taunting Drake now.
“I'm ready.” Drake said confidently. “You Ready baby?”
“Let’s go!” Nicki exclaimed. And just like that, they were off, speeding off away from the shore. They zig zagged in front of each other as the glided across the water. Drake made it to the keys 1st. Nicki hugged tight around his waist as he made a loop around the cay, leaning low to the water. Safaree wasn’t far behind. He revved up, catching up to their position. He smiled before veering out to his left, distancing himself from Drake before turning back sharply, cutting across their path & sliding ahead of them. Drake could hear SB’s cackle from ahead of them. Drake, now angry at the unfair race, hit the accelerator speeding up to them. He bumped the back of their jet ski, causing them to go into a spin as He & Nicki slid safely up to the pier.
“No! No, hold up!” SB yelled as he stalked after them. “Yo, you CHEAT!”
“So did you!” Nicki exclaimed.
“Nooooo!”
“Yeeees! You cut us off!” said Drake.
“No, I'm not tryin to hear that. That’s competitive racing.”
“Same here.” SB folded his arms over his chest.
“Alright, 2 otta 3.”
“Alright.” Drake agreed.
“Wait, can we do this after lunch? I'm starving.” Maria said patting her stomach.
“That sounds like a good idea. I don’t have enough energy for all this competition.” Said Nicki.
“Yeah, a nigga is type hungry though.” Said SB. They all headed back to the house where they ate burgers & fries.
“So what’s the agenda for tonight?” Maria asked.
“I say we throw a big ass party on the beach!” said SB
“That would be dope!” Nicki exclaimed.
“Yeah, it would.” Drake agreed. They were discussing the details when Dennis walked over to them with Malaki.
“I think he’s hungry momma. The boy tried suckin on my chest.”
“Awww, you ready to eat pooh?” Nicki cooed as Dennis placed the child in her arms.
“I thought he was done with all that boob suckin?”
“Well he’s not ready. Everytime I try to give him the bottle, he doesn’t want it.” Nicki shrugged.
“Well who would wanna have a cup of milk when they know there’s a whole milk oasis nearby?! C’mon, give him here.” SB held his arms out. Nicki hesitantly placed the boy in his lap. Malaki began to cry.
“Aye, aye stop all that. You wit uncle Beezy now. No need for all the tears.” He said as he bounced the child on his knee.
“I don’t know Safaree.”
“It’s ok Nic, I'm not gonna hurt him.” SB laughed. Nicki could feel her anxiety rising. She was 10 seconds from snatching her baby from his arms & letting him suckle her breasts. She didn’t like to see her son cry. Especially when she could prevent it. Drake rushed for the bottle & brought it back to SB. The 1st time he tried to give it to Malaki, he spit it out, screaming louder. “Aye! If you really want the milk, you will drink the bottle. C’mon now.” SB tried again giving the child them bottle. He squirmed a bit but settled down quickly, SB placed the bottle in Malaki’s hands letting him feed himself. “There you go! See? Easy.” SB kissed the childes head & rocked him slowly as he ate. Nicki could feel the tears stinging her eyes. She had to leave.
“I'm gonna go to the bathroom real quick. I’ll be right back.” She said before shuffling off. Drake wasn’t far behind.
“Hey.” He called to her. “you ok?”
“I'm fine.” She spat out.
“No you're not. Whats wrong? Are you mad at SB?”
“No I'm not mad. I'm fine.” She tried to push past him but he held his ground.
“Nicki,” he pleaded. “talk to me.” she sighed.
“You know I don’t like when he cries. It makes me feel bad.”
“But babies cry. That’s what they do.”
“I know but…it’s just hard to sit back & see him unhappy.” Drake hugged her tight to his chest.
“I know. But look at him now. He's fine.” Drake said pointing out the door to where Malaki sat with his uncle, content, sipping his bottle. “I know it’s hard for you to deal with, but you gotta let go sometimes. This is our family. His family. Nobody here is gonna hurt him.” Nicki swiped a tear away from her face quickly as she took a deep breath.
“You're right. I know he’s fine & nobody here would hurt him. But…that’s my baby.” she buried her face in Drake’s chest as she let tears fall.
“I know. He’s my baby too. But it’s ok. It’s ok. You both will be fine.” He said as he planted a kiss on her forehead. “Now come on. He’s gonna want his mom when he’s done with that bottle.” He took her hand & walked with her slowly, heading outside. They were almost to the door when Drake stopped & faced her. “And for the record. I'm proud of you & the way you handled this just now.” She smiled at him before stepping back out into the sunshine.
“Look, there’s mommy.” SB said, pointing to Nicki. Malaki bounced up & down, excited.
“Mama! Mama!” he yelled, arms extended.
“Hi baby!” she exclaimed as she scooped the child into her arms, spinning him around. Drake looked on as the boy held tight to her neck as she carried him out to the beach, SB & Maria not far behind. They all sat down on the sand & began to play. Drake walked out & took his place next to his son as they began the construction of a sand castle.
After a long day of castles, water fights, swimming, more shell collecting, never ending picture taking, burying SB twice & a big dinner with all of the family, the day was almost over. The sun was setting & lanterns were strung across the beach. Niko & SB were busy setting up speakers while Maria Helped Nicki’s cousins set out food & drinks. Drake & Nicki were upstairs tucking their son in bed. Nicki wasn’t 3 sentences into a Lion King pop-up book before Malaki was snoring. They kissed his forehead before heading out to the beach. She sat in a chair near Maria.
“It looks good out here, right?”
“Yeah. It’s really pretty.”
“The boys did a good job.”
“That they did.” Nicki took a water from the cooler. She was about to take a sip when she felt it being yanked from her hands.
“Nope, no virgins tonight. Last night here, everybody’s getting fucked up.” SB told her.
“What? Safaree, no.”
“I'm sorry Nicki, but I would have to agree.” Said Maria.
“You guys.”
“C’mon Nic, you can’t just sip waters all night. You have to have at least 1 drink.” said SB
“Uuughh!” Nicki groaned.
“Nicki…” said SB
“One drink.” Maria urged. Nicki sat pouting for a while before she sighed.
“One drink. But not beer! If I have to drink it, I want it to be good.” Maria gave her a devilish smile.
“Coming right up!” She said as she scurried off into the house.
Fifteen minutes later, Nicki was almost completely done with her 2nd drink.
“This is soooo good, Maria! What is it!?”
“Just a little something I learned from my sister, Mariana.”
“What’s it called?”
“Pink panties.”
“Sounds sexy.”
“Doesn’t it?”
“I think I'm ready for another.” Nicki said, tossing her straw in her now empty cup.
“Ok. Be back in a sec.” Maria said as she headed for the house. Nicki sat back, bopping her head so an upbeat soca riddim that was playing when she felt a cool breath on the back of her neck.
“Having fun?” Drake asked her as he let his lips rest on her warm skin.
“Yeeeees!” she giggled as his stubble tickled her.
“Sounds like somebody’s been drinking.” He laughed.
“What if I was?”
“I'm not complaining.” Nicki turned her head, letting her lips meet his for a moment before pulling away quickly.
“Dance with me!” she said hopping out of her chair.
“What?”
“C’mon, dance with me!” she pulled his arm, dragging him out onto the sand. She did a slow 2 step, her arms above her head. Drake smiled as he grooved with her to I Wayne’s “Satisfy Her”. She was a little unsteady on her feet. He pulled her closer to him as a Future cut to Chaka Demus’ “Murder She Wrote”. With 1 of her legs between his, she placed her hand on his head & began to grind on him. He rolled his body in sync with hers, his hands at her waist.
“I can’t remember the last time you danced with me like this.” She said to him.
“Me either. Kinda sad this is our last day here.”
“Why?” she asked.
“Because you’ve only been doing stuff like this since we’ve been here. I feel like when we get back home, things are gonna go back to the way they were.”
“Well, I don’t really know how I’ll feel when we leave here. I just know when I'm here, it’s so much easier for me to let go. Cuz its vacation, you know? We’re supposed to have fun. It’s like it’s not real life.”
“But it can be, though.” As soon as the words left his lips, he could feel a shift in her mood. It was subtle, but there none the less. This is not what he wanted. This was the final day of their vacation so he didn’t want to tarnish these memories with the thought that he ruined it all in the end. He backed away from her & looked at his now empty Corona bottle.
“I'm gonna take a break, ok? I think I need another drink. I’ll be back.” He kissed her cheek before excusing himself. He headed for the kitchen where SB & Niko were caving a conversation & laughing.
“What up man?” Niko asked, noticing the distain on his face.
“Need another drink.” He said, pulling open the fridge.
“You good, nigga?” SB asked.
“Yeah.” Was all he offered before heading back outside. He pulled a chair into the sand & sat watching her. She was so beautiful. Her hair, her skin, her smell, her touch, the feel of her. Everything about her attracted him. He didn’t want to lose that but he was really wondering if things would ever be the same as they were before. He didn’t want to keep hiding his feelings. There was so much love he wanted to give her. He just couldn’t understand why she made it so impossible for him to give it to her. He took a sip of his drink, trying to wash the thoughts from his mind. As he put his drink down, he saw Nicki coming towards him.
“I thought you were coming back?” she said.
“I was just about to get up.” He told her.
“Come on!” she said as she pulled him up from his chair. Once he was out on the sand, she pushed him up against a tall speaker. She backed away from him, heading over to Future & whispered something in his ear. He smiled & nodded to her as she backed away. Future dropped some air horn & siren sound effects before letting Vybe Kartel’s “Gwaan Suh” drop. She looked at Drake, batting her lashes seductively. She ran her hands over her face & let them travel slowly down her body, resting on her hips. She hooked her thumbs in her bikini strings as she hit a slow wine. Drake folded his arms over his chest as he watched her. The deep throbbing pulse of the bass & dark moody flow of the melody combined with the movement of her hips was hypnotizing. He couldn’t stop looking at her. He beckoned to her. She moved toward him slowly, moving her hips in a tick-tock motion. When she reached him, he spun her around, facing away from him. He moved his body in motion with hers, grinding against her; slow, fast, and then slow again. She let her head rest against his chest as she guided his hands down her body. He held tight to her waist, keeping her close. After a while he just stopped, letting her work. Future cut to another tune. He gripped her hair, pulling her head back as she danced on him. She moaned as he bit her neck gently. They were so engrossed in the moment; they forgot anyone else was there until the music stopped abruptly.
“Attention ladies & gentleman.” Future said in a radio announcer sounding voice. “No sex on the dance floor. I repeat, no sex on the dance floor.” Nicki covered her face in embarrassment as they all laughed.
“I think it’s time for another break, how ‘bout you?”
“Please!” she laughed. He took her hand & guided her back to the patio. He sat in a chair & Nicki flopped in his lap.
“Somebody’s undersexed.” Maria said under her breath.”
“I know you ain’t bout to sit here & act like you wasn’t hittin a nigga wit that Jersey turnpike out there doe!” SB said poking her.
“I know you ain’t bout to sit here & act like you didn’t like it tho!” she said, playfully slapping his chest.
“No ma’am. I loved it. In fact…” SB got up & slung Maria over his shoulder. “dance break over. C’mon woman.” she laughed hysterically as he carried her back to the beach.
“Thirsty?” Nicki asked.
“Very.” Drake answered.
“Be right back.” She disappeared into the kitchen & returned shortly with 2 orange juices. She sat back in his lap & they watched as slowly everyone paired off & started to disappear as the night went on. They danced a little more but eventually found themselves sitting on the shore, enjoying the slow tunes Future was playing. They were quiet, watching the waves roll in when Future came & tapped Drake’s shoulder.
“Imma just let these slow joints play & I'm out, alright?”
“Alright man.” Drake dapped him up before letting him walk off. He fell silent again, enjoying the island breeze as The Weeknd’s “Gone” played softly. Nicki stretched her legs out, letting the tips of her toes touch the sea foam that collected at the top of the small waves.
“I'm really glad we came out here. It feels good to get away & see my family. I like when all of us are together.” she said as she rested back on her arms.
“I’m glad you're happy. And that you haven’t stopped smiling.”
“I can’t help it. I'm so happy here. It’s like the soul of this place, it’s like a pulse. It beats in me. I mean I love America but this is my home. I love my country.”
“I know what you mean.” Drake sighed. “Of course it doesn’t hurt that there’s so many beautiful women here either. I see you lookin.”
“Shut UP! I do not!” she laughed as she threw a handful of sand at him.
“I'm joking, I'm joking.” He said as he brushed the sand from his chest. They grew quiet again as they gazed out into the distance. The moon was so close, it looked like they could grab it. it appeared to sit in the water, its color bleeding out, turning the water into liquid mercury.
“I'm gonna miss this place.”
“I know you will.”
“I have so many memories here. I'm never gonna forget this trip & all the fun we had. I'm gonna miss being out here on the beach under the moonlight. The way the sand feels on my skin. The sea salt air. I wish I could take it all with me.”
“You're talking like you're never coming back.”
“Well maybe it won’t be the same the next time. What if everything changes?”
“What’s wrong with that? Things change. Maybe next time, it’ll be better.”
“I don’t think so. This is the 1st time all the people I love have been together like this. My parents, my brothers, my cousins. And now I have you & & Malaki & your family & our friends. Everything just feels full circle, you know?” Drake said nothing as he pondered this. He too had been feeling complete since they’ve been there. So much so that he didn’t want to leave for fear that things would go back to the way they were & a piece of him would be missing again. This was the 1st time everyone was together & happy. He knew they could never get this moment back, no matter how hard they tried.
“Well, I think we should just try to make the most of the rest of our time here. Just let everything in your mind go & do what you feel. You wanna run into the ocean, do it. you wanna sream as loud as you can for no reason, fine. Do whatever you wanna do to make the best possible memories. No mistakes, no regrets.” Nicki mowed this over in her mind for a while.
“So what would you do if you could?” she asked.
“Me?”
“Yeah.” Drake sat in thought for a moment before replying.
“I don’t think there’s anything left I really wanna do. This trip has been perfect for me. you're happy, Ki’s happy. I jet skied, I surfed, I swam with a fuckin dolphin. I mean, what more could a man want besides good times with his family? I even get to sit with the most beautiful woman in the world under moonlight.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. I couldn’t ask for more than this. What about you? What do you still wanna do?”
“I don’t know.” she shrugged.
“There’s gotta be something. Anything.” She fell silent. There had been 1 thing she wanted to do but she was afraid he might not approve.
“Well. There is 1 thing.” She looked at him, biting her lip nervously. He smiled at her.
“Then do it.” She slowly let her hand creep over to his, their fingers intertwining. A deep moody melody with a heavy kick drum & symbols began to play as she got up & moved closer to him, sitting on her knees. He looked up at her, anxious. He didn’t know what she was thinking, but he was praying to a higher power that it was the same thing that was on his mind. She leaned in & melted against him. He couldn’t resist letting his hands roam down her spine to her firm backside. She did not protest. The orgasmic tone of Able’s voice & a symphony of chilly key tones & synthesizers encompassed them as they kissed. She straddled him as his left hand was lost in her hair. He lay flat on his back as she leaned over him, kissing & biting, all of which he welcomed greatly. She rolled her hips against him, letting him feel the heat between them. He slowly untied the strings of her bathing suit & pulled it from her body. He flipped her over, laying her naked body down on the cool sand. He planted kisses down, all the way to her center. She arched her back as he dipped his tongue inside her, tasting her nectar. She rubbed her breasts as his tongue fondled her sensitive clit. Once she was nice & wet, he got up, positioning himself over her, lowering his shorts. She wrapped her legs around his waist, pulling him to her. He stroked his manhood a few timed before gently sliding himself inside her. He gasped as her love enveloped him. Her walls strangled his shaft as he stroked. She was so tight. He clenched his teeth as he pushed himself all the way inside. She cried out, digging her fingers deep into the sand. He was so deep it was almost painful, but she didn’t want him to stop. She rocked her hips against him, giving his thrusts more impact. The tide washed up over them, the waves cooling their hot skin. He gripped her thighs, thrusting harder inside her. When his pelvic met hers, angelic moans escaped her; her voice blending so well with Able’s crooning. He picked up the pace, bending over her, legs over his shoulders.
“Aubrey.” She whispered. It was the sweetest music he ever heard. He had been waiting for so long to hear this tone, see this face. He wanted to make it last. He slowed down a bit as the beat changed. An island style rhythm that they both knew all too well. He kept his movements controlled, teasing her, only giving her a little bit of him. Nicki did not like this game. She sat up, pushing him off her. She turned around to face him & forced him down on his back. She yanked his shorts off, throwing them to the surf, before getting back on top of him. She let out a long hiss as she came down on him. Once he was inside her, she wined her hips to the beat. He bit the corner of his lip while gripping her hips. She raised her hands over her head as she grinded slow but hard, searching for her Nirvana. With the prickle of the waves breaking against their bodies combined with the feel of his manhood, she could see the horizon.
But Drake would not be left behind. He sat up, wrapping his arms around her. Now, he dictated their pleasure. He held her hips tight, forcing her down on him. She held on to him, muffling the sound of her screams in his neck. He simply wouldn’t have it. He tangled his fingers in the roots of her hair, pulling her head back.
“Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm!” she hummed. Her voice drove him wild. Harder he pumped into her, silently summoning her siren song. He could feel her legs shaking, her feet burrowing into the sand as her walls tightened around him. He felt the waves of his orgasm building, growing higher & higher with each stroke.
“Aubreeeeeyyyyyy, I…” she tried to speak as her lips quivered, but she couldn’t complete her sentence. It didn’t matter. He knew what she wanted to say.
“Sing for me baby.” he whispered to her. That was all she needed to hear. The deep timbre of his voice sent chills up her spine. And she came, in 1 long note, her voice echoing all around them. He kissed her as they came down from their love high. Their breathing ragged & heavy. He laid her down, letting the waves crash against them once more, soaking their bodies completely. As the tide pulled back, they felt fresh, free to explore their love again, & again. And they did, all the while, Drake’s voice crooned in the background.
“I bet if I give all my lovin’, nothin’s gonna tear us apart.”
THE SONG ABLE'S SINGING? -CREW LOVE?
HOW SEXY IS THAT BATHING SUIT NICKI'S WEARING?
THIS + NICKI'S BODY = *PUSSY IS THROBBIN'*
HOW SEXY IS DRAKE ON THE BEACH?
VERY.
DRAKE ON A JET SKI?
CHECK.
HOW BEAUTIFUL IS MAYARO BEACH IN TRINIDAD.
BREATHTAKINGLY SO.
TAKE CARE





WOW! I absolutely loved it! This was amsolutely amaazingggggggg:) SOSOSOSOSOS happy they are together fully again<3 I hope things stay the same when they return home!:)
ReplyDeleteWOW!!!! that's all i can say,i had hoped this would happen and it really did.I'm so glad their physical chemistry is back on...i hope they keep it like this now.Can't wait for the next post and it beeter be soon Koy,Okay? :) I swear you are an amazing writter<3
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOkay so let's just 4get about that extra long ass comment I did earlier, it was a bit TOO much, I'll admit. Plus I finally calmed down enough to make a more reasonable & shorter comment. lol
ReplyDeleteBut again I will spazz out b/c I was happy as hell with the ending so here I go: AHHHHHHHHNKKLNHFLKDSBNKLGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGYYYYEEESSSS!!!!!!! -done-
THIS CHAPTER WAS EVERYFUCKINTHING!! From beginning to end! I still want to know what the dream was about, but it's nice that everybody went to Trinidad. I also liked the way Nicki was being with Drake, her walls were definitely crumbling in this chapter which made me happy as hell. Malaki always makes me smile with how he reacts to everything & he's just so freaking adorable <3 I'm all here for MariaFaree, they're TOO CUTE! I'm happy for them. Hopefully things will get better in Dricki's relationship when they get back, but I still need Mailiah's ass DEAD like now! Anyways AMAZING chapter! Hope this comment is better..lol Post again soon! #TakeCare :)
Yo i read this like as soon as you posted...but i wasnt on the cpu to comment lol
ReplyDeleteANYWAYS
yooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! i loved this chapter!!!! i love how detailed you are, it feels like in watching a movie.
Dam Ki is sooo cute!...thats by baby lol
Im glad they had a good vacay and nicki wasnt trippin
Im NOT HERE for Dennis trying to give him sex advice lol
Im sooooo happy for SB and Mariah Awww
Imma need nicki so stop being so emotional about Ki, i wish she would get back to normal already :/
Dam im glad they fucked...i was hoping they would in this chapter, lol idk how Drake deals
but yea...GREAT CHAPTER as usual. I dont comment much because i usually read from my phone (my mom dosnt like me involved in tm stuff, so i gotta read this on the low lol) but i check everyday to see if you updated
um...whan is maliyah gonna strike? she be in these interludes...imma need her to surface in an actual chapter lol. but yea...thats the only thing , i know as soon as nicki goes back to being normal and lets her guard down maliyah is gonna do something to make her emo again...THATS what im afraid of lol.
but anyways! I loveeeddddd it...like always. Great job!!
Bye!
-Zing
(@ZingUhLing)
OHHH MY GOD LIKE!! YESSSSS!!!!!! :)) BEEN WAITING!!! OH SO LONG FOR THINGS TO BE SOME WHAT FIXED WITH THEM!!! BRING ON THE CUTE STUFF :))!
ReplyDeleteOMG!! this chapter was freaking amazing. I LOVED this chapter. It was sooo cute. I'm glad they got along. And they had sex O_O I did not expect that & I'm even more surprised Nicki initiated it. The family time was super cute it was very much needed obviously. This chapter made me laugh & it also made me wanna cry. I'm so happy they're getting along & I hope that it last. *happy sigh* great chapter of course. post soon ^_^ -@TEAMinajNYC
ReplyDeleteSo *sigh* i really don't know where to begin.
ReplyDeleteBut FINAAAALLLYYY!!! Ive been waiting for this chapter for like ever. Since u showed me stuff from it i just wanted to read it allllllll!
Ok i think this leaves scene was the first thing i read from this chapter awhile back and...i still love it lol i just keep picturing ki with his little hat just sitting in the leaves and i get all happy inside!!
But yaaaaaaaay Trinidad!!! And im going :D that just makes it thaaat much better!
My poor liddle Ki crying cus his mommy cried, i dont blame him tho i got the same way watching MTN :/
....“Happy birthday to you.” She straddled him.
“Ok, maybe not.” He said, placing his hands on her hips...... <-- Idk why i love tht so much its so funny to me lol I think he had a slight hope that something was gonna happen, what a tease.
Idrk how i feel about these little kisses shes giving him but..eh.
Oh, just the THOUGHT of Nicki and Drake surfing....like nooo lol her little self taclking them big waves? hahaha
aww the dolphins i like how this scene turned out, i loved it the first time and noww. Ki is so lucky tho, hes a special little guy!
Alright..........this scene with the guys. I KNEW IT WAS GONNA BE HILARIOUS! lmao i cant with dennis and drake.. "TAKE IT DOWNTOWN" *dies*
*gasp*
YAAAAAAAY MY WEDDING!!!!!! WOOOOOO IM MARRIED!!!!!!!! lol where my presents at huh? -___-
...hmm.....i still dont know how to feel about that conversation bout why they havent gotten married yet...i just..and shes not..but he wants... *sigh* just be together damn.
LMFAO ok like i told you the other day this --> “Great. He gives you all the good shells.” She sighed as she held up a broken clam shell. made me crack up so much idk why but i loved it. Love the family spending sharing these cute moments on the beach i just wanna go join them!
*squeals* she called him 'freaking jerk' like...do u know how ive been waiting for that lol
AHHHH naked ki!! Awww that would be THE.CUTEST.PICTURE.EVERRRR!!
yes yes yes that bathing suit is everything tho, i can so picture Nicki in it. in her old nicki body! *drools*
lmao at dennis checking nicki out O_o
of course i bring up the food topic... *nervous laugh*
*slams on brakes* OK no imma need everybody to stop saying Nicki needs to stop being emotional bout ki. So what if she wants to feed him thats her baby! Dont cry Nicki :( thats like the time that them two get to experience together and be connected again shes allowed to be emotional!
Dead. Its never a good sign when nicki starts drinking lol somethings always gonna happen!
Yep. There goes the dancing....reminds me of the first chapter.
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting for this chapter for months since i knew this scene was gonna take place! There u go Drake enjoy O_O
Im sooo happy she gave in ^__^
But alright, the thing i loveeeeeed most about this chapter was that it seemed like nicki never got depressed or changed in any way cus she was so happy and she was letting go!
i dont want them to go back home just stay on the island.
Forreal this was like pre-drama llt chapters only with Ki involved so 10x better!!!!
All im gonna say now is that i want the next chapter.....even tho u said what u said..and stuff i know.. alright. im done O_o
Holy puff this was long.
Btw i started this like hours earlier but i fell asleep :| so yeah.
Love you. Puff
*bows out gracefully*
I LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE WOW WORTH THE WAIT!!!!!!!!!1
ReplyDeletewhufihdfdfyuhfuhjbadsfhjsbdjhsbdhjfdbfhbdjhabsduyfwerpwqwpoerwjriedrhdsfhgfvbdsvdfvfieroewryeqrgwudbfhdvfewuylotu teqwhrbtewta *bows gracefully*
ReplyDeleteSo lemme start with the part that literally made me laugh out loud. Attention ladies & gentleman.” Future said in a radio announcer sounding voice. “No sex on the dance floor. I repeat, no sex on the dance floor.” OMG I had to stop reading to laugh.
ReplyDeleteSecond, I love Malaki's little moments with the dolphins, the shells, and the splashing. They're really adorable.
Finally, reading this fic got my nerves bad. The whole time I was waiting for something to terrible to happen. As soon as they went into the water I was like something bad is coming. I thought they were gonna get eaten by sharks, then i thought they were gonna get dragged underwater by the dolphins. Then i thought Malaki was gonna almost drown. I was paranoid the WHOLE time.
Anyway, can't wait for the next chapter!
-MzDimpledAngel
first off this chapter was good. i really enjoyed it. lol at first i thought something was going to come off of her straddling him, but then i remembered she's been very stubborn and hard-headed in this story these past chapters -_-. i loved the fact that they were spending time with their family and enjoying themselves, even if it was for a little while. It was good for nicki to get back to her old ways when she was with him. I understand that she is worried about the baby too, but I think she often forgets it's Drake's baby too.
ReplyDeleteI'm getting kind of suspicious that something is going to happen soon, because I read something about 'the 1st sign'. Plus, why would their parents be trying to convince them very hard to all of a sudden to go on a vacation? So, I'm going to just prepare myself for some bad stuff to happen because I know it will.
Yea!!! we got a post lol but anyway ahhhhhh im in love with this chapter. im so glad they got to have a huge family vacation to trinidad. I think the trip relaxed everyone. Im also glad that nicki is finally becoming somewhat more of her old self!! Malaki is so cute i can just see him in his little swim trunks. Sad but happy part when malaki took the bottle, i can understand where nicki was coming from though. Nicki needs to go ahead and flaunt her wonderful after baby assets. Safaree is now a married man lol that coon!! and the part that got errrrrybody excited they had SEX ON DA BEACH!! lol im glad they were both fully emotionally connected this time!! ill probably comment again but as always this was great defiantly one of my faviorate posts!!
ReplyDelete[wipes tear] They're getting back to normal At least i HOPE
ReplyDeleteI'm happy they all went to Trinidad i feel like that gave everyone a break and everyone got to relax and just enjoy the ppl they love & life
Ki is too freakin cute ^.^
Like I LOVED this chap. it was so cute.
"Take it downtown" Dennis need to go thataway --> lmaoo
hmmm i cant wait to see whats going to happen next..i hope its not what im thinking ._.
I loved this chapter. I love how Drake & Nic are getting back to normal.. hopefully it stays that way. What better place to fix it then in her homeland? :) Its beautiful (the way i pictured it) i loved this EKKKKK... like, the fun. & Liddo old Nic surfing golly gee. Lol. I'm glad Ki had fun <3 Sucha cutie (the way i pictured him)
ReplyDeleteSex on the beach ;) :O No one saw them?
But like i said, i love this Chapter a lot of great moments. Keep writing, keep up the good work.
FLIPPIN AMAZING I ENJOYED EVERY WORD OF THIS CHAPTER! AND IT WAS LONG!!! BONNNUSSS!! THANK U SO MUCH FOR POSTING I SO LOVE UR STORY! POST AGAIN SOON
ReplyDeleteForget what is air... What is fiction? O_o KoyKoy... I BREATH your story. Like. *moment of silence*
ReplyDeleteI don't know how many times I've read the preview, but the fact that it wasn't even a small fraction. Is. *another moment of silence*
I'm just blown away. I still can't grasp how you do it EVERYTIME. Smh. At first I thought this infatuation with LLT steamed from me shipping these extraordinary beings so hard. I was wrong. I know this is random, but I religiously watched DTNG up til the 7th season. (After JT got killed I kinda fell off) And with all that good writing, I never saw anyone fit for Jimmy. It could've been the little crush I had at the time that wouldn't let me give Ashley, Hazel, Ellie, Girl from therapy.. a chance. But I truly believe that if I knew about Nic back then, she'd still be the one. I know Jimmy's just a character. But I believe all thespians pull at least a bit of something from within. Blah.. What I'm saying is.. I will never be totally satisfied with anything other than Dricki. I know it's selfish, but idc. And even though I will deal if I have too, I can never express to you how much you've been a part of keeping my hopes and prayers alive. Yes hun, I've prayed. Not too crazy though. Just that they'll be totally open and will make the most out of the opportunities when officially given to them. Not much right? lol.
Now about this chapter. Can I just say I cosign with almost everything above and future below? There's seriously nothing I could think of at 4:54 in the morning that hasn't already been said. Seriously. I know you love the comments(I do too)& they're well deserved (If not more), but this time I'll just leave you with the brown nosing. lol. Do you see your followers!?! I'm seeing 109 as of now. That ish C(K)ray. I know some are repeats cause Twitter sign in's dead (btw, you the best)but geeze! You got Dricki, Onikafa.., CFs, probably foreigners reading your baby. You betta go! Shoot. I just recommended my bfff who's a Little Monster a couple weeks ago.
But I gotta get some sleep. Congrats on getting the music thingy to work. The newer look is niiice. Smh at Candi *whisper thanks* And I don't think I've ever asked you to post soon cause I know you can't rush perfection.. but you know I'm looking forward to more. Much Love. Muah! -@nickisalute
FINALLY a new chapter!! I seriously checked like everyday! haha
ReplyDeleteI love that they are back together! (For the Most part! haha) Any ways i love the feel good times Nicki and Drake had. I felt so bad for him last chapter when he was looking at her with all the love in his heart but couldn't express the love because it wasn't his place. (That was like the saddest) But i also loved the end scene. Not just because they had sex, (I mean...that was a part of it) but because she was letting her guard down. Nowwww, is it weird that i was waiting for Maliah's crazy ass to show up at the beach and like steal Ki?! I was so scared the whole time! hahaha anyways, GREAT to have you back! POST SOON! :) @Casey_Vee
Koyoa! You stole my LIFE with this chapter. Like I can't even...I'm damn near speechless. Like they had fucking sex on the beach! Like how sexy are they?! I'm sorry I'm a little late reading, but you know how Senior year gets. busy, busy, busy. But Koy I loved this chapter. You paint a picture in my head, which transforms into a movie! I loved it.
ReplyDeleteOkay i know im kinda late but anyway im glad they all went on a vacay so they can get away from all the drama and just be FREE lol but i am so not here for dennis trying to tell drake how to have sex like eww thats just gross lol abd it was so funny wen nicki got scared cause she felt the dolphin by her foot lol and wen nicki drake sb and marie was racing it was so funny cause drake was teasing drake about the money and i cant believe sb and marie got married aww so cute now just waitin on nicki and drake to tie the knot :) and FINALLU they had sex and on the beach to and i aint talkin bout the drink lol i was so here for that sex scene lol i love wen he pulls her hair and she moans>>>>>>> oh yea lol okay enough with the freaky stuff please post soon and my twitter name is @Minaj_Zolanski but yea post soon xoxo
ReplyDeleteYOU ARE FUCKING AMAZIIIIINNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!! JSXJDJAKZNDBSVSJXHDBBSKX J XBDJDSJBZSVKSLXNCBDENJSXBXVZ *screams* Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! They had beach sex!!! They fuckin did it! Yea they did it!! They did it!!!! Ok, I had a shitload of crap to say, but I done forgot it all now!! Ok from what I can recall, Dennis is so damn blunt, I like him, lol. Um... Nicki & her lil dancin scene got me hot! I like how Drake jus loves pullin on her hair (sexy shit) Uh.... s/o 2 Safaree & Maria getting married. I didn't expect that at all. Shit... um... mi.memory is failing me! Lol, I loved how they swam with dolphins! So cute! This chapter had everything in it. I loved it. This IS officially mi favorite chap unless you outdo yourself in future posts. Which you probably will. Um... I loved Ki & Mommie collectin seashells! That wuz adorable. Uh, Nicki needs to sit her ass down wit dat "I'm fat" shit -__- Like seriously Nika, take a aeat. Idk what else to comment on... *thinx* Oh! I liked how they were dancin all up on each other! (Idk if I already tlkd abt this, lol) Nic sure can work those hips like dayum! Oh yea, I pictured her in that bathing suit... Ay dios mio... Drizzy's one lucky muhfucka! Ok so I think I'm done. This chapter is perfect. I more than loved it. Hopefully Nic keeps up this behavior & it wuzn't jus the Pink Panties makin her feel all giddy. On to the next one! :p
ReplyDelete